Residential / care homes prices.

Can somebody please explain to me why residential homes for the elderly are costing upwards of £500 per week. (One was £800!)

I can stay in a good quality hotel, full board, for half of that.

The food is minimal, as is the care in some places.

Can somebody please break down the costs for me, or is it just another excuse to rip people off, and make a profit out of old folk.

The care might be 'minimal', but that includes at least one nurse on duty all the time, probably more and assistants, and the collection and distribution of medication.

As to your comparison with a hotel, I suspect that you're underestimating the price of a hotel. Full board in a good hotel for <£500/week... Seems ambitious to me.

Can somebody please explain to me why residential homes for the elderly are costing upwards of £500 per week. (One was £800!)

I can stay in a good quality hotel, full board, for half of that.

The food is minimal, as is the care in some places.

Can somebody please break down the costs for me, or is it just another excuse to rip people off, and make a profit out of old folk.

Please provide a link to the quality hotel providing full board for £250 a week (or even £400 a week) - will have a week there myself.

As Cyclone said - it's staffing costs - Care Standards means minimum staffing ratios 24/7 - in some cases 1 member of staff to every 6/8 residents.

The Assisted living I work at in the US is on an average 10 thousand dollars a month, that's around 6 thousand pound., depending one what level of assistance is required for the resident.

Please provide a link to the quality hotel providing full board for £250 a week (or even £400 a week) - will have a week there myself.
I don't have a link (can't remember it's name, but know it and the resort well, have the leaflet at home) but I know a very nice, waterside hotel in Altinkum, Turkey, where you can stay full board for less than £170 pw, provided it's on a long-term basis (3 months+). Including overlap with high-season if dates fall as such. And still current, after the town just renovated the entire beachfront earlier this year and really up-marketed the place. Of course, first you have to get on a plane ;)

As Cyclone said - it's staffing costs - Care Standards means minimum staffing ratios 24/7 - in some cases 1 member of staff to every 6/8 residents.
+1, and all required insurances (for relevant care staff and the business) and costs of maintaining regulatory compliance are all going to be a pretty penny too...it all adds up really rather quick, where healthcare is concerned (over and above the 'hotel' components of living accomodation/services). Edited by L00b

If the care homes were located in Turkey you might have a point. Try it again with a hotel in the UK.
In the context posited by the thread (which is incorrect in the first place: comparing care homes to hotels is nonsensical), why must the 'hotel' be located the UK? :confused:

Heathlands Hotel, Bournemouth - £252.00

Grand Hotel, Scarborough - 301.00

Norbreck Castle Hotel, Blackpool £210.00

Grand Metropole Hotel Blackpool - £196.00

All above for 7 nights in July / August. Dinner, Bed and Breakfast

All large sea front hotels with good facilities (2 including swimming pools) and entertainment.

They also offer a further 15% off to returning customers. There are loads of offers like these on the internet.

Edited by Anna B

As for staffing levels, in my experience they operate with as few staff as they can get away with, most are on minimum wage and some barely able to speak English. They are often as much exploited as the residents.

Someone, somewhere is making one hell of a profit.