Wanting to leave my job. Advice needed

I am a manager who runs the daily operations in a shop. Without me the Place may not operate properly. I am now in a position that I wish to leave my role due to demand required of me and that I feel I cannot continue with the hours I'm putting in. I have employed people to do most of what I do, but am not sure if they are in a position to take over my role. It is effecting my relationship with my partner and kids. I know if I say I'm leaving there will be the " we started this business because we thought you would stay and fulfil the role"

I need good advice please.

If you're not happy you should leave...you spend too many hours at work to be miserable there. You are obviously a caring person and don't want to drop them in it, but you shouldn't feel guilty about it as ultimately it's not your problem, but your mental wellbeing (and relationship) is! Good luck

Why don't you state your case to the owners - if they rely on you and need you they will agree to proper working hours and maybe a pay rise. If not, move on. Don't also worry about others not fulfilling the role. If they haven't been given the chance to do so, there is no absolute proof of that, but we all do things differently and still manage to fulfil a role, perhaps just not the way the predecessor would do it. You would be surprised what people can do when put on the spot to do it. The owners may also simply hire a new manager if these current staff really are not up to replacing you. End of the day, no-one, but no-one, is irreplaceable in a work/job/role sense. If they really think losing you will affect the business to their detriment, they will agree to a compromise to keep you. If they say 'we thought you would stay" just equally say "yes, I would stay based on a 40 hour week" as was first agreed.

The problem is that you have started doing more hours and haven't negotated extra pay, or discussed if you even want to work more hours - or have you done it off your own back and created a longer working week because you felt the role needed it and they actually never asked you but have let you do it and come to reply on you doing it (at your expense by the sound of it). In the absense of other info, you have maybe created your own role to have become like this.

It's not about money, its what you sacrifice. Negotiate with your employer, maybe you can train another member of staff to take some burden. Last resort is to leave, remember It's hard to find wirk, even for experienced staff. Have a job to go to first.

Also, talk to your family about it. A problem shared is a problem halved.

Not knowing the full details i would in the first instance speak to your boss/owner and see what their reaction would be. See if you could job share or reduce your work load. Explain that your work is affecting your home life but i would also look for alternative employment if you are not happy in your place of work.

Hi Hellane

It's almost impossible to give "good advice" without knowing and understanding more. All the comments so far seem valid but I wonder what you really want to do. It sounds like you want/need to leave and if that is the case don't worry too much about what people 'may' say when you make your decision - they may surprise you and just be totally supportive!

Thinking through what you want or need to do afterwards is clearly vital - and you might want to consider whether you want to be an employee for a different firm (with possibly similar time issues) or be self-employed. There are opportunities for people who seize the day and have the vision and hard work ethic to get where they want to be in life.

Whatever you decide - very best of luck and hopefully ultimate happiness:cool:

• 4 months later...
I am a manager who runs the daily operations in a shop. Without me the Place may not operate properly. I am now in a position that I wish to leave my role due to demand required of me and that I feel I cannot continue with the hours I'm putting in. I have employed people to do most of what I do, but am not sure if they are in a position to take over my role. It is effecting my relationship with my partner and kids. I know if I say I'm leaving there will be the " we started this business because we thought you would stay and fulfil the role"

I need good advice please.

Approach you own line manager (presumably the owner of the business) amicably and see if you can explain your case properly. Any changes that are suggested should be followed up with a review in a month, or two.. depends on what the changes are and how long before you expect to see change. Remember you are the one driving for change, not them.

If nothing is working in your favour, then quietly line up a new job to move to once you hand your notice in.

It's not your responsibility to make sure the company will continue to operate if you leave and any employer who tried to lay that level of guilt trip on you to cover their own planning and organisational failings doesn't deserve you working for them to be honest.