Is it okay to have a fire in your garden

Not illegal, just an ignorant pig.

Wait till they have a load of friends/family over for a big summer BBQ, then return the favour - works surprisingly well!!

Make sure you get it nice and big, then shove a load of fresh green branches on to really get it smoking :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My neighbour has a garden fire right now, surely this cant be right at 11am on a sunny day like today when i have my washing out on the line, some people have no consideration for others these days.

You can’t get rid of household waste if it will cause pollution or harm people’s health. This includes burning it.

Can anyone burn rubbish with causing smoke/pollution?

Who mentioned household waste?

You can burn garden waste.

Is this a nuisance or a need ?? We have been burning quite often recently due to hedge removal and general tidy up, we have this evening completely finished but the window twitchers looked disgruntled.

I personally have no issues with people improving their living space, we have opened up a beautiful view again for all and burnt well away from the adjoining houses (i.e 50 metres) although :huh:we have no control of wind direction etc

What are the protocols etc and have others suffered such distain from the nimby syndrome? :huh::roll:

well you could always check if your neighbours have any washing out or are having a bbq before you light the fire.

lots of green waste must have produced quiet a bit of smoke I would think.

No washing out at all we checked each time we start, we are in a semi rural area and I admit it has been quite often but the garden we aquired in October has been a garden waste dumping ground for previous occupants, some of the garden clearance companies wanted a mortgage to clear and cut down small trees. I bet this garden hasn't been cleared properly for 20+ years.

Wait until the extention starts and the scaffolding appears :mrgreen:

Just burn it after about 9pm and to hell with it!

I quite like the smell of a fire choose whose it is and the lot has now gone so need to repeat the exercise - I feel it is no more anti social than dog muck and pee littering our streets and parks but hey ho this will always be allowed where kids play - just saying :rolleyes:

Hi

I have a neighbour which very frequently burns wood and leaves at the extreme corner of his/her garden. The problem is that the burning starts at different times of the day, and the smoke gets into any window open at that time.

For example, you leave the bedroom window open in the evening, and when you go to bed the room is full of acrid smells.

With all the fuss about wood stoves etc , cant believe it is allowed to burn at will wood and leaves from your garden.

Bws

MV

I'm not sure on the legality but there may be council rules and regs.

A neighbour of mine used to breed rabbits and burn the waste straw etc on a regular basis.

However someone made a complaint to the council and he received some sort of notice informing him he could be fined if it persisted.

Before you go down a legal route, have you discussed this with your neighbour? He may just not be aware of the problems he's causing you, sometimes we don't think...a chat might solve it without having to up the ante and go to the council.

This is what I have found on the Sheffield CC website:

Garden bonfires: the rules

There are no laws against having a bonfire, but there are laws for the nuisance they can cause.

Burning domestic waste

You can’t get rid of household waste if it will cause pollution or harm people’s health. This includes burning it.

You can get rid of household or garden waste by composting or recycling it. Contact your local council to find out how to dispose of garden waste and about recycling in your area.

Danger to traffic by smoke

You could be fined if you light a fire and you allow the smoke to drift across the road and become a danger to traffic.

Complain about a neighbour’s bonfire

Your council can issue an ‘abatement notice’ if a neighbour’s bonfire is causing a nuisance. A bonfire must happen frequently to be considered a nuisance.

Your neighbour can be fined up to £5,000 if they don’t stick to the notice.

Last updated: 27 February 2017