Is it okay to have a fire in your garden

...................you are wrong there smarty pants! I would be out like a rat up a drainpipe, ( and have been in a previous property!) mind you I live in a decent area and people respect the fact that we put rubbish in the bin, take it to the tip or hire a skip. Simples!

How many times have B&Q been prosecuted for being an accessory?

Surely selling firepits and chimneas is assisting in the commission of a crime, if it was a crime to have fires in your garden, which it isn't.

...................you are wrong there smarty pants! I would be out like a rat up a drainpipe, ( and have been in a previous property!) mind you I live in a decent area and people respect the fact that we put rubbish in the bin, take it to the tip or hire a skip. Simples!

Going to be out a lot tomorrow night then are you?

This old thread needs reviving...

I read on the council website we're supposed to approach neighbours whose bonfire is causing a nuisance in an amicable manner before considering any serious action.

The thing is, despite having my windows shut (so I guess my windows aren't up to much) today the inside of my flat stinks like burnt plastic, because somebody's burning stuff in the next street.

Seems crazy to me that burning stuff in a built up area is allowed - read up on the particulates from wood smoke, you'll see it's no safer than cigarette smoke, particles too small for the body to filter entering the lungs and linked to increased strokes and heart attacks. Lovely to think that someone has filled my home with that stuff :help:

Its pretty difficult to enforce if the local council build massive bonfires and burn toxic furniture on then every Nov 5th.

I understand that any night other than the 5th is illegal.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pollution/air-pollution/bonfires.html

Apparently not.

Someone near us has had a fire for most of the day. We had washing outside when it was sunny, had to be brought in and re-washed.

Apparently not.

Someone near us has had a fire for most of the day. We had washing outside when it was sunny, had to be brought in and re-washed.

I must have been thinking about the restrictions around fireworks.

I must have been thinking about the restrictions around fireworks.

Have you heard of new years eve?

No it's not otherwise my Scouts would be stuffed :-) We just had a good firestarting session tonight as it happens after last weeks disastrous attempt.

Seems crazy to me that burning stuff in a built up area is allowed - read up on the particulates from wood smoke, you'll see it's no safer than cigarette smoke, particles too small for the body to filter entering the lungs and linked to increased strokes and heart attacks. Lovely to think that someone has filled my home with that stuff :help:

and yet we reached a population of 7 billion! :o

Perhaps it should have wiped out early humans, then we wouldn't have to worry :)

-

btw if someone is burning plastic in a built up area, I would be phoning the council, or 'having an amicable word' first.

Yea having the odd bonfire is perfectly legal, having one several times a week could probably considered 'anti-social' and if someone is burning things like plastics and rubber then it's illegal.

My neighbour has a garden fire right now, surely this cant be right at 11am on a sunny day like today when i have my washing out on the line, some people have no consideration for others these days.

Edited by suzan