Help with guitar

I go in Wizard and nick stuff

EDIT- Darn!! the wife was still logged in!! :(

Biggsy :)

Edited by kitty katt
wife still logged in!!

The chap at Wavelength on London Road is great, Steve I think he's called. It's a proper old style guitar shop, very helpful and knowledgeable.

My son has now four guitars, all of which he has bought online; he is learning, slowly, but surely and he is turning into a real guitar fanatic.

Good on him. When I started at 14, I remember a quote from Gary Moore (remember him, RIP) to the gist of "if you can't walk past your guitar without picking it up, then you know you'll be at least a good guitarist". Never a truer word etc...

Yes very friendly and helpful staff at Wavelength

The chap at Wavelength on London Road is great, Steve I think he's called. It's a proper old style guitar shop, very helpful and knowledgeable.

I agree DONT go to Wizard I have never been treated so aggressively and rudely in all my life!!!!

Hi Zeke,

I recommend your son tries one of the below

- Nightingale Audio on Burton Rd, at nightingale-audio.co.uk

- Sound Idea, 384 Langsett Road, 0114 232 2011

- If you don't mind going to Doncaster, the repair service at Electromusic has always been excellent. electromusic.co.uk

There's been a discussion on this forum recently repair recommendations that was useful. It's at sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=976449

It's about amp repairs, but most/all of these places will repair guitar electrics.

I strongly recommend your son avoids Wizard Guitars (the link that Graham Y sent). No disrespect intended to Graham, but Wizard have a very bad reputation for service, honesty, and downright rudeness among all the musicians I know in Sheffield and Doncaster (they have/had a shop there too). And I know a lot of musicians! I have bought stuff from them twice, and both times have lived to regret it. There are plenty of good places out there with helpful staff, but that's the opposite of what I found at Wizard.

Regards, TT

Another Wizard hater here!!

I bought a new acoustic from them some years ago, It sounded fantastic! the bloke said to bring it back in six weeks for a free setup!

It was when they had a shop at the bottom of London road..

I duly took it back in six weeks and he asked if anything needed doing?, I said the action was a little high, he also asked what strings I would like putting on so I said Martins will be OK!

I got the guitar back, the action was marginally better but the guitar sounded awful!

Not wanting to make a scene in the shop I went home and measured the strings with my micrometer, they didn't match any of the Martin Gauges :mad:

So for the sake of a couple of quid, they lost a future customer and i'll badmouth their rubbish service at every opportunity :rant:

Biggsy :thumbsup:

I live in Wigan but my son lives in Sheffield.

He bought a guitar from Johnny Roadhouse Music in Manchester and it's wiring has been mangled.

Any suggestions as to where he could take it for repairs without being ripped off?

in my dealings with guitar shops and repairs over the years is that unless you know them really well they'll just over charge and rip you off at every opp,

most of the time you can do repairs yourself the wirings not that hard ,thers so many instruction vids on youtube now/

just take your time:)

I rewired a gibson sg with p 90's useing this blokes instruction video off youtube

lollar makes good p 90's I put one of his on the bridge pickup and a mick briaely on the neck ,gave me a beautiful blues

nearly the same tone as this believe it or not

Edited by johncocker

This thread is an amazing source of Wizard hatred- I'm amazed that anyone still shops there!

The guitar shack on Glossop Road, Broomhill! friendly service and great prices :)