Deregulating childminders

it has been on the radio and other media is starting to pick up on it but it is being proposed that childminder should not be regulated and inspected by Ofsted.

Please please consider signing this petition to stop deregulation. please share on your facebook walls, websites or where ever else you can think of.

http://www.change.org/petitions/uk-government-reject-proposals-to-deregulate-childminders

I hope it is deregulated. The current levels of regulation discourage many young people from becoming childminders. The overregulation also raises the overall cost of starting up and running childcare, which increases the cost for parents.

The cost for parents at the moment is unbelieveable. If there is deregulation there will be greater competition as more companies enter the market. I can then as a parent choose which childcare service I want to use.

I hope it is deregulated. The current levels of regulation discourage many young people from becoming childminders.

You know this how?

The overregulation also raises the overall cost of starting up and running childcare, which increases the cost for parents.

How does it do so? The cost of regsitering as a childminder is currently £35.

Many childminders charge less than four pounds an hour.

My last employer chose me because she didn't want an ofsted childminder hence why she chose a nanny , you would still need police checks to do the job but to honest why ofsted childminders?

I've signed Flutterbyes. I've informed the parents I work for and they are horrified, especially with the far reaching consequences this could mean, ie childminders not being able to be paid childcare vouchers, tax credit childcare payments, payments from universities, colleges etc. As currently only OFSTED registered childcare can be paid this way. In the area I live in, over 90% of my work is paid by one of these, I'd be out of business and most of my parents wouldn't be able to work. There are nurseries, playschemes and after school clubs locally, who could be paid by the above but they'd be bursting at the seams or aren't open when parents need them.

I think current ofsted regulation/inspection was very damaging to childminding provision. Some considerable time ago, when my daughter was 5 months old I chose a childminder as I had to return to work and wanted a nurturing, family style environment for her formative years. I returned from work to find out how she'd been, what she'd eaten, what she'd enjoyed playing with. Once ofsted were involved my childminder was overloaded with paperwork that was required to demonstrate learning outcomes. Her time became less about care provision and more about paper exercise.

Whilst I think some form of regulation is absolutely necessary (and pre-regulation as long as they were local authority checked and regulated vouchers could be used) I don't think it provided any benefits. My childminder worked in her field because she enjoyed working with young babies and children. She's left the work now because of the limitations and endless documentation. My daughter who's leaving school soon still refers to her as a 2nd mum and they remain in contact. She got the kind of childminder I wanted, and the kind I hope will exist again (with facility to use childcare vouchers)

Being registered with Ofsted levels the playing field. The professionalism of the childminding profession has risen, we are being seen as equals and a viable option to nurseries and pre-schools.

The proposed system has been used in the Netherlands and the government in the netherlands is realising it is costing them more and the quality has gone down.