Gilletts Bakery

Another bakery prominent in the 1940/50s when I lived on Dudley Road, Hillsborough a neighbour , was Betty Yule , my playmate. Her father was employed at Gillets and I think was married to a Gillet family member.

Anyone any knowledge of what happened to Gilletts Bakery ?

Gary Marshman North Wales

I've found at least one thread about it, and only two hours older than this one!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=995094

this one from 2010

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=690177

and if you use the search facility, you'll find there's quite a few threads where the bakery is given a mention, even if the thread was not specifically about the bakery itself.

Hello Skippy,

Had not spotted anything on Gilletts Bakery.

When I lived on Dudley Road, our neighbours were the Yules and their daughter Betty was my playmate. Yes you could be right his name could be Bill Yule. My late mum Peggy Marshman would have the info. but that has gone.

I remember The Yules had one of the first TV s in the area, probably 1950/51. He even had a magnifier and a colour screen in front , to give enlarged coloured viewing from a 12" screen. A revelation , when Betty and I used to watch Kit Carson.

On thread mentioned by Plain Talker , I lodged this thread and noticed someone else had created a thread, however unrelated to mine

From memory it was spelt Gillotts Gary? I remember the name Yule, but can't remember for sure whether it was Bill or Bob nowadays, it was 54 years since I worked there, but I remember a lot of the names that I have seen on other threads about the bakery.

Hello Skippy,

Bill or Bob Yule am sure was married to a Gillotts family member daughter. ?

Immediately next door was old Mrs Blades who I thought was Betty' grandma.But that does not tie up name wise? Then next to her The Yules.

My late mum used to sit with old Mrs Blades for a coffee in the mornings way back up to 1952 , then we moved to posh Crosspool. My late dad George worked at Genefax at Ranmoor , so Crosspool became a lot easier to get to his work.

Wonder what happened to Betty Yule. I think my late mum was in touch with Mrs Yule as late as 1985 or after

Leah-Lacie

Thanks for that info. Bill and Edna Yule could be.

So whatever happened to Betty?

Also have I got the tie up with old Mrs. Blades wrong. Or was Blades owners or part owners of Gillotts bakery. Then Edna would would have been a Blades , her maiden name

Gary Marshman

Harvey19

Thanks for that info. So we are now unsure who Betty Yule' mum and dad were. I only know My Yule and maybe his wife worked at the family business , and maybe My Yule married a member of the owners of Gillotts Bakery.

Where do we go from here ?

Gary Marshman