Where to buy the best rucksack?

I wouldn't buy another Karrimor rucksack. My first one was fine and lasted several years. My second one the zip on the front pocket has come loose where it is stitched in, and the fabric around the zip to the main compartment has frayed, meaning the zip gets stuck constantly. And this was after less than a years use.

I bought Karrimor walking shoes from sports direct and they fell apart too. Today's Karrimor is not what it was back in the 80's.

Thinking about it, and a personal opinion only, sports direct are always going to put cheap price over over good quality

---------- Post added 15-07-2016 at 11:34 ----------

.... but my preference would be to buy a frame rucksack. These rucksacks have a lightweight metal frame that holds the sack away from your back. They are far more comfortable than other types of rucksack and you won't get all hot and sweaty lugging stuff around.

genuine question, but do they still do rucksacks with an external frame? I don't recall seeing them since the 90's

I bought Karrimor walking shoes from sports direct and they fell apart too. Today's Karrimor is not what it was back in the 80's.

Thinking about it, and a personal opinion only, sports direct are always going to put cheap price over over good quality

genuine question, but do they still do rucksacks with an external frame? I don't recall seeing them since the 90's

I believe the Karrimor name/brand is now owned by Sports Direct and most if not all manufacturing is in China

also worth nipping in to tk max as normally have a good selection of ruck sacks

I am a big fan of Jack Wolfskin - they're not cheap but mine have lasted years and are still as strong and sturdy as when I first got them.

I use a small (I think its 12 litre) Velocity sack (designed for cyclists really, but I like it because it doesn't look like a clunking great back pack) I take it to work most days and then out on hikes and walks with the dog - it has a built in rain cover so is always kept dry. Just as well, last Saturday we got drenched out at Matlock. It has a special padded back so it doesn't dig in and I can fit my iPad and work notes in it if I need to.

My bigger Jack Wolfskin backpacks are a girly pink 24 or 25 litre (can't remember exactly which) and a 32 litre all black one. They both have air backs for ventilation and loads of capacity.

My partner got some Karrimor running shoes supposedly for running on trails, they cost a fair bit. Only trouble was, they were lethal on any slightly slippy surface and he fell over in them several times. They soon got binned.

---------- Post added 15-07-2016 at 17:57 ----------

I am a big fan of Jack Wolfskin - they're not cheap but mine have lasted years and are still as strong and sturdy as when I first got them.

I use a small (I think its 12 litre) Velocity sack (designed for cyclists really, but I like it because it doesn't look like a clunking great back pack) I take it to work most days and then out on hikes and walks with the dog - it has a built in rain cover so is always kept dry. Just as well, last Saturday we got drenched out at Matlock. It has a special padded back so it doesn't dig in and I can fit my iPad and work notes in it if I need to.

My bigger Jack Wolfskin backpacks are a girly pink 24 or 25 litre (can't remember exactly which) and a 32 litre all black one. They both have air backs for ventilation and loads of capacity.

I don't do pink :hihi:

I have a 30L fluorescent yellow Proviz rucksack (bought for cycling/motorbiking to work, cos I tend to wear all black clothes), which is sadly not waterproof despite its claims :(

Also got a 20L cycling backpack similar to the one you describe with a hydration pack for purely leisure rides.

I highly recommend this one

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/osprey-nebula-34-backpack-p307017&gclid=CKrwuKaM-80CFYEV0wodhMYCVA&gclsrc=

I have 2 under 5's, this back pack is great loads of room for changes of clothes/ nappies n wipes/ coats/ snacks/ plus my bits n bobs and also very comfortable! It also has a whistle so you can train the kids to come back using that rather than shouting ha ha!

Cheers everyone! I'll patrol MadowHell soon!

Try Meadowhall instead, I got a Berghaus from Blacks for 50 quid about two months ago, reduced from 70, very nice it is too.

I would suggest that you buy a couple of the smaller backpacks from Decathlon and get the kids to carry one each. They can put a drink, a snack and their coat in it.

They learn to be a bit more independent and start sorting themselves out and you stop looking like a walking coat rack.

I would suggest that you buy a couple of the smaller backpacks from Decathlon and get the kids to carry one each. They can put a drink, a snack and their coat in it.

They learn to be a bit more independent and start sorting themselves out and you stop looking like a walking coat rack.

The kids are probably teenagers now.