Anyone remember Pauldens the department store

I worked there around 1968/9 in the childrens dept, used to love selling prams. My sister and the man she married also worked there, and yes they are still married 36 years on. Phil worked in the loading bay.

I remember Pauldens. My gran, God bless her,carried on calling Debenhams Pauldens for many years.

I remember loads of other old shops, many like Grace Brothers on the telly, there seemed to be more of a special awe about shops and banks when I was a child. Perhaps people parted with their money less easily for expensive items then and a shopping trip really was more of a treat than a chore.

I used to work for boltons the bakers in chapeltown we supplied some of the confectionary for pauldens

I used to work for boltons the bakers on station road in chapeltown we used to supply some of the confectionary for pauldens when they were open.

I worked there for about 5 years in the carpet dept with Len Woollen, Gordon Ives,etc I remember Mr Lofthouse was the store director and was a lovely polite gentleman. His secretary was a nice lady, Miss Tee I think her name was. I played for the football team along with Eric Bollington who was a tv engineer, and his buddy Reg Kershaw who tragically died young. Several other lads from the firm played, and I remember we played a cup-tie up at Limb Lane and Mr Lofthouse said he would come and support us and so most of the dept managers turned up as well to cheer us on. Great days and some lovely ladies worked there.

I remember Pauldens, my mum used to work there from about the mid-seventies till she sadly dies in 1988. She worked on the food dept, then when it closed moved onto lingerie.

Her name was May Wood, if anyone remembers her, shout!

my mum worked there, Elaine Chapman she was called then, any one remember her??? actually thinking about it she probably got married while she worked there, so Elaine Wilkinson, any one work with her?

will pass on any replies she aint got the tinternet...

Hi mgblade, only just seen this thread. I started work at Pauldens a week before they opened [getting the store ready] I remember your mum she worked on the tobbaconist kiosk I think. We spoke breifly in town a few years ago and she didn't look any older than when I last saw her. I used to work on the confectionary counter. Lynne

hi

does anyone remember someone hanging themselves in the lifts there ..at deberhams or pauldens . in manchester because my brother works there . and he been doing nights . and there as been some wired things happening . on the shop floor . he says its walter .. but i was just wondering . does anyone else know . about it or wot the person was called . thanks

My long lost cousin Pat(nee)Hill worked in the accounts department, would love to know what happened to her

I worked there on the bread counter before becoming manageress of the chicken roast counter maybe around 1966 my maiden name was Holloway first name Linda Anyone remember me ?

Hello lovelylinda, i worked in the butchery department i dont know if i am theone you mean i made so many friends and had some great times.My name is Mick.My memory is not very good ,but i think the butchery manager was called Stan Morton,but he left to go down south,I ended up marrying the nurse at the time ,her name was Barbara.If i did know you i am sure we would have been good friends as icant think of anyone i didnt like,all but the food hall manager.bye for now,

Hi Mick yes i do know you Do you remember chasing me and i slipped and fell on a chicken spit and had to go to hospital You were brilliant