Re-installing a Macbook Pro laptop ?

I have been asked to re-install the OS on a Macbook pro for someone. I am used to PCs, not Macs!

It works, so is there a preferred method of backing up all the users data? Will it all be stored somewhere obvious? I have a USB HD I can use.

Is the OS install straight forward?

Cheers

:)

Back up the users files first (there's an option in the OS to do this, unless they have specifically disabled it, you will be presented with a 'use as backup drive' dialog when you plug in an external HDD (Note, it has to be FAT32, as OSX Can read, but not write to NTFS)

Once it's backed up, the OS install is very straight forward, just hold the OPTION (apple) key when you turn it on, this will cause it to boot from the CD/DVD

Once it's backed up, the OS install is very straight forward, just hold the OPTION (apple) key when you turn it on, this will cause it to boot from the CD/DVD

The C key boots directly from the installation DVD. The Option key (the "Apple" Key is Command) lets you select from any bootable sources such as external hard drives and presents a simple menu to choose from them.

If you are backing up the entire drive it should be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) not FAT 32. Using back up software such as Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper or the Restore function in Disk Utility will do this in advance for you.

While backing up documents, photos, music files etc to a FAT32 drive is OK. It can damage some types of content held in the username/Library and Users/Shared directories.

I forgot it was C, because I always use the Command key, and select the disk manually... My bad (can't believe I called the command key, the option key either.. damn I was tired)

And I said FAT32 because it's often easier to format it as FAT32 on a windows machine before plugging it into the MAC