What are your top tips for keeping yourself safe while driving?

We've all witnessed and experienced 'nutters' on the road, and I'm guessing we all have our own 'tinpot' ways of keeping yourself a safe as possible.

What are your top tips?

For instance: When stationary at traffic lights or at a junction, if I notice a car in my rear view mirrow, that I think is approaching a little too fast. I tend to tap the brake pedal a few times, to attract attention of my prescence. I'm not sure if it actually works, but I've never been rear-ended...YET!

If I stop on the left side of a two lane road (two on each side of the road) at a pedestrian crossing. I watch out for the danger of another car overtaking me on the crossing and will often resort to old fashioned hand signals to stop traffic from sailing past on the right of me, maybe unaware of a person crossing the road. Yes I really do still use hand signals on occasions!

tbh i think it depends on what you class as tinpot behaviour. I know drivers who leave two car lengths in front of them, and then complain when other cars cut in and have road rage issues.

I utilise taught avoidance techniques which make me feel safer as they do affect the way other drivers drive. For instance if i'm pulling off the motorway i stick to the white line between lane 1 and 2,this gives the impression i'm driving straight on and stops idiots cutting in from lane 3 in the last 100 yards of road(hopefully).

tbh i think it depends on what you class as tinpot behaviour. I know drivers who leave two car lengths in front of them, and then complain when other cars cut in and have road rage issues.

I utilise taught avoidance techniques which make me feel safer as they do affect the way other drivers drive. For instance if i'm pulling off the motorway i stick to the white line between lane 1 and 2,this gives the impression i'm driving straight on and stops idiots cutting in from lane 3 in the last 100 yards of road(hopefully).

By 'tinpot' all I mean is our own individual ways of doing things, which aren't neccessarily part of the highway code or established protocol. Like my method of dabbing the brake lights at traffic lights or junctions.

I'm slightly puzzled by your explaination of sticking to the white line when coming off a motorway? Do you not indicate to say you're filtering left off the motorway? I can understand not wanting cars to cut across you, but I'd be worried about cars undertaking me (to the left) also coming off the motorway!....Or have I not understood your tactics?

Tip 1: expect the unexpected at all times.

Tip 2: even on a straight and empty road in daylight and dry conditions, refer to Tip 1 ;)

Tip 3: anticipate, anticipate, anticipate.

Tip 4: never, ever 'dither' (i.e. never leave following/oncoming/surrounding road users in doubt as to your intentions).

I've been using both passive and active techniques for nearly 20 years now, which I originally learned during my National Service days for officials/VIP chauffeuring. Most of these are nothing more than good old-fashioned common sense, really.

Tip 1: expect the unexpected at all times.

Tip 2: even on a straight and empty road in daylight and dry conditions, refer to Tip 1 ;)

Tip 3: anticipate, anticipate, anticipate.

Tip 4: never, ever 'dither' (i.e. never leave following/oncoming/surrounding road users in doubt as to your intentions).

I've been using both passive and active techniques for nearly 20 years now, which I originally learned during my National Service days for officials/VIP chauffeuring. Most of these are nothing more than good old-fashioned common sense, really.

I agree wholeheartedly with the never dither thing. Even if I know I'm in the wrong lane and lets say will have to come off a traffic island at the wrong exit. I still carry it through and don't switch lanes. It's easy to turn around and come back.

I remember my driving examiner telling me on my test about always expect the unexpected. That was because on my test I was following a white van up a high street towards some traffic lights. He stopped. Then got out and went into a shop. He was double parked and I was stuck behind him!!!! On my test!!! I managed to manouvre around him without too much issue. This is what prompted the examiner to make that remark!

I agree wholeheartedly with the never dither thing. Even if I know I'm in the wrong lane and lets say will have to come off a traffic island at the wrong exit. I still carry it through and don't switch lanes. It's easy to turn around and come back...

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I agree wholeheartedly with the never dither thing. Even if I know I'm in the wrong lane and lets say will have to come off a traffic island at the wrong exit. I still carry it through and don't switch lanes. It's easy to turn around and come back.

Mind you, if I'm using the satnav, it freaks the damn thing out! :hihi:

Always look over your right shoulder before moving out to overtake on the motorway...don't just rely on what you can see in your mirrors....always give yourself space..if someone cuts into your braking area drop backand give yourself a chance..

Edited by truman