How to cap downloads on a free wifi ?

donky7

a friend has asked me this question.

basically he has become the new chairman of a small leisure centre (privately run and is more of a social club) free wifi has been installed to attract new members whilst the existing members can also enjoy this new service.

having read in the news that some venues have been sued do the public downloading files.. such as music etc...

what software would be required ?

thanks.....

most routers and access points have the option of blocking certain sites...

Otherwise, you'll have to have an access point setup, and run some proxy software on a computer (that will need to be left on constantly) - which can get expensive...

You'll need to run some wifi hotspot software, it can run on a wifi router capable of running custom firmware, or you'll need a pc to run it on. Then you can make everybody login with their membership id, log & control what they're allowed to do.

a friend has asked me this question.

basically he has become the new chairman of a small leisure centre (privately run and is more of a social club) free wifi has been installed to attract new members whilst the existing members can also enjoy this new service.

having read in the news that some venues have been sued do the public downloading files.. such as music etc...

what software would be required ?

thanks.....

It would be pretty irresponsible to just allow public access unhindered to a wireless network.

You need a way of distancing yourself from the content that is accessed.the members.

The system I have been trialling is sputnik. With a free sputnik account and a ddwrt compatible router you can run a proper wireless access point.

You can choose how long they can access for and how long they need to wait before they can reconnect.

You can offer a paid top up amongst other features.

If you want to know more about it, give me a call later and I'll talk you through it.

There are two cafes in heeley that run this system, the honey pie tea room and the Turkish place on the corner.

Right, now I'm back at a PC so I can type properly.

Ideally, you want a system that you can tailor the output power to make sure you are just covering the areas you want and not the surrounding buildings.

Something scalable, (granted 99% of normal access points can do this)

If you're running off the back of the normal broadband connection, you want to be able to limit it's speed so your users don't saturate the connection.

As this system uses a main router connected to the office router, your office network is separate and so the files are secure.

You want to be able to isolate each user from each other.

The ability to restrict access times is also useful, as you might want to turn off the system at busy times to prevent people hogging spaces.

Using a commercial system like Sputnik (even with a free account) gives you the ability to do all of this stuff.

Edited by Greengeek

what price would you be looking at, for htis seervice, should they wish to hire you..... could you please pm me.....

It would depend totally on what option/route they wanted to go..

If they just wanted a powerful router with all the required options (setting power level, and stopping people accessing certain sites) then you'd be looking around £150-200 for the router, then a fee for someone to come and set it up..

if you're wanting more control over it (like times of day its available, option to ban/lock people out etc) then you will need a computer, and piece of software, as well as a high-gain hotspot set up... this costs more, and takes longer to set up...

It would depend totally on what option/route they wanted to go..

If they just wanted a powerful router with all the required options (setting power level, and stopping people accessing certain sites) then you'd be looking around £150-200 for the router, then a fee for someone to come and set it up..

if you're wanting more control over it (like times of day its available, option to ban/lock people out etc) then you will need a computer, and piece of software, as well as a high-gain hotspot set up... this costs more, and takes longer to set up...

This.

For the best performance, I've used Asus RT -16N routers with the special Sputnik software. The router can be bought for less than £70 and these are one of the ones that Sputnik themselves recommend.

Configuration should take between 1-2 hours. More than likely nearer 1 hour.