Bee Gees' Robin Gibb Dead

Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb dies after cancer battle

Robin Gibb Robin Gibb had been ill for some time

Bee Gees' singer Robin Gibb has died following a lengthy battle with cancer, his family have said.

British-born Gibb, 62, had been battling colon and liver cancer.

Gibb's musical career began when he formed the Bee Gees with his brothers Barry and Maurice in 1958.

The group is among the biggest-selling groups of all time with hits spanning six decades including Stayin' Alive, How Deep Is Your Love, Massachusetts and Night Fever.

In a statement, Gibb's family said they were announcing his death with "great sadness".

Broadcaster Paul Gambaccini described Gibb as "one of the major figures in the history of British music".

'Monumental accomplishments'

"Everyone should be aware that the Bee Gees are second only to Lennon and McCartney as the most successful songwriting unit in British popular music," he said.

"Their accomplishments have been monumental.

"Not only have they written their own number one hits, but they wrote huge hit records for Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Celine Dion, Destiny's Child, Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers, the list goes on and on.

"What must also be said is Robin had one of the best white soul voices ever. He was singing lead on his first number one when he was 17, that was Massachusetts."

'With sadness'

Gibb's family said in a statement: "The family of Robin Gibb, of the Bee Gees, announce with great sadness that Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery.

"The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time."

Last month, the singer fell into a coma after contracting pneumonia but a week later he regained consciousness.

Gibb's son Robin-John said: "They (doctors) gave him an under 10% survival chance and he has beaten the odds... he really is something else."

The singer was diagnosed with cancer of the colon and later of the liver after having surgery on his bowel 18 months ago for an unrelated condition.

He later underwent chemotherapy and surgery.

Edited by CorkerSWFC

Big respects to a man that truly made his mark on music and the world. RIP. XXX

They said he had beaten cancer a couple of times, and its funny but today I was thinking that we hadnt heard any news about him for some time, and then this news.

Had some good times to their music. RIP Robin, sorry you lost the battle.

I was sad to hear the passing of Robin Gibb, who was a legend of musical talent, and will be remembered for a very long time.

But. I also heard that he died of bowel and stomach cancer. A sickening was to go, it has to be said. However, the news also reported that he was a tea-total, and a vergetarian, and I'm guessing he didn't smoke either. So to all intents and purposes lead a pretty healthy lifestyle.

So is it the case, if you're gonna get the big 'C' it matters not what sort of lifestyle you live? Is it the case, If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it regardless?

Edited by PeteMorris
Posing the question(s)

Very sad news, I can picture him singing 'Massachusettes'

R.I.P.

I was sad to hear the passing of Robin Gibb, who was a legend of musical talent, and will be remembered for a very long time.

But. I also heard that he died of bowel and stomach cancer. A sickening was to go, it has to be said. However, the news also reported that he was a tea-total, and a vergetarian, and I'm guessing he didn't smoke either. So to all intents and purposes lead a pretty healthy lifestyle.

So is it the case, if you're gonna get the big 'C' it matters not what sort of lifestyle you live. If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it regardless!?

Your last paragraph makes very little sense. It sounds like you think things are predetermined.

Nobody has ever claimed that healthy living guarantees that you won't get cancer, but it does reduce the chances of getting it quite significantly. It's just playing the numbers game isn't it, you could still be unlucky, but if you live an unhealthy lifestyle you increase the chance of being unlucky.

So is it the case, if you're gonna get the big 'C' it matters not what sort of lifestyle you live. If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it regardless!?

If only he had a twin brother, to act as a control group in this, admittedly small, study on the benefits or otherwise of healthy living.