Revamped morrisons hillsborough

Wow. The selection available in the new look store makes waitrose look like aldi. More varieties of fresh mushrooms than you can stake a stick at, the fresh spices section is to die for if you like to cook eastern dishes yourself, the whole veg/herb/fruit/spice area is so far in advance of anything we have ever had in sheffield. If you cook, get yourselves down for a look, its very impressive.

I had a look earlier today and was wondering about what half the veggies must taste like - will need to look those up LOL. Not too sure the ice bed thingy was working properly though as the suff on that all seemed to be quite limp (the mist coming out over the salad leaves/ herbs seemed warm)

I had a look earlier today and was wondering about what half the veggies must taste like - will need to look those up LOL. Not too sure the ice bed thingy was working properly though as the suff on that all seemed to be quite limp (the mist coming out over the salad leaves/ herbs seemed warm)

Agreed. There were some beautiful frisee lettuces which had turned into soggy sponges and bunches of basil which were lying in pools of water rotting. Am also not sure what exactly the cold mist is, but within seconds of standing by it, OH's eyes were streaming. I think there's maybe a problem with the temperature regulation & heating controls, as hot air was blasting out into the cafe, making it really uncomfortable. The instore temperature was very warm, too, so maybe it needs looking at.

That store has always struggled with being too warm though, hasn't it? Combine the heat from the glass roof bit with the badly managed queues and that explains why frozen stuff has always melted before reaching the home freezer.

That store has always struggled with being too warm though, hasn't it? Combine the heat from the glass roof bit with the badly managed queues and that explains why frozen stuff has always melted before reaching the home freezer.

I totally agree, I absolutely hate badly managed businesses that think they can gain our custom when no other viable shops are available. The contempt it breeds is totally unacceptably.

I always found their veg selection sparse and of poor quality so took my money elsewhere. Sounds like they've upped it a notch!

Been getting better for a while and this makes a huge difference. There are some rare veg there I shall need to learn to cook!

And it is self-service. Do what I do and ignore anything that doesn't look correct. (If it is towards the end of the bag I ask them to go get a fresh bag of whatever).

Well I went yesterday and everything in the veg section was fresh and lovely. I bought lots of veg that I'm always pining for and can't get (or only in Waitrose)... like frisee lettuce, purple (Sicilian) aubergine, etc. Thumbs up from me... I also like the fish counter although yesterday it was a bit poorer than normal. Now they just have to improve the quality of meat on offer...

Recently I've been going to Waitrose more because of the veg, meat and free from section, but Morrisons are improving so I will give them another chance.