Schools for children with special needs

It is so difficult to find a school that is suitable for children with special needs, and when you do, the Education Department refuse to fund/move your child there. It is expected that all children will fit into the standard mainstream schools, that they will 'tick all the boxes' and cope with mainstream education, regardless of their emotional, educational and social needs.

My mum had the same problem with my brother in the mid 90s. He was kept in a mainstream school and simply wasn't progressing. Their answer was to have my mum sit with him all day, every day, to try and help him. It took nearly 2 years of her asking (pestering basically) for the right assessments to be given, and eventually he was moved to Green Arbour (now The Willows) where he thrived. My advice is to never give up and keep trying; every child is entitled to learn in a way appropriate for them.

Just to add, have you any doctors/therapist reports etc that will aid your case for moving your child to a special school? You sometimes really need to push this as hard as you can. As I said, my brothers case was 20 years ago so no doubt things have changed (probably for the worse) so get all supporting testimonies you can that being in a mainstream school will be detrimental to your childs education.