Desktop pc psu advice

hi

i have a few old parts i am gonna throw together to build a slave machine for internet and abasics etc nothing flash

my question is if i can get away with a 450w psu or will i need to buy a new one

the pc will be a single core amd athlon xp about 2gig cpu, 2gb ddr1 400 ram, a 1 gb apg gfx, ide hdd x 2 sata 1.0 hdd x 1, dvd-rw ide x 1, wireless network card pci and sound card 5.1 pci running win xp pro sp3

i know dual core and quad core will need 750w etc but will a 450w be enough and what sypmtons will show if it isn't? will it freeze or overheat or lock up etc?

thanks in advance

hi

i have a few old parts i am gonna throw together to build a slave machine for internet and abasics etc nothing flash

my question is if i can get away with a 450w psu or will i need to buy a new one

the pc will be a single core amd athlon xp about 2gig cpu, 2gb ddr1 400 ram, a 1 gb apg gfx, ide hdd x 2 sata 1.0 hdd x 1, dvd-rw ide x 1, wireless network card pci and sound card 5.1 pci running win xp pro sp3

i know dual core and quad core will need 750w etc but will a 450w be enough and what sypmtons will show if it isn't? will it freeze or overheat or lock up etc?

thanks in advance

Dual/Quad core won't need 750w. I have a triple core, 4GB DDR3, PCI-E G/FX and a massive cooling system (more than I really need) using a 500w PSU with no issues.

Without knowing the exact component details I fed "best guess" into this site:

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

and it recommends a minimum power supply of 320w so your 450w should do just fine.

think you maybe able to get away with 450Watt.

the graphics card is gunna use quite a bit of power (someone correct me if im wrong).

if its not enough then the psu could go pop, i dont really know to be honest as i have never had one fail on me.

hi

thanks in advance

Im running a slave machine, dual core @3ghz, 2 gig ram, gt520 gfx.

PSU is a 350w.

Works a treat.

think you maybe able to get away with 450Watt.

the graphics card is gunna use quite a bit of power (someone correct me if im wrong).

if its not enough then the psu could go pop, i dont really know to be honest as i have never had one fail on me.

350 is more than enough.

Remember not all PSUs are equal. Try to obtain a quality branded PSU, as it's worth it to protect the rest of your components. Some cheap knockoff claiming it's providing 350W probably won't do so.

The graphics card requirements will probably drive what sort of PSU you need in the end. Recommendations for the latest cards see 500-700 in the specs, and decent PSUs will provide the required 12V outputs. For older cards, of course, much less would be required.

450w will be enough if it's a good branded psu that can really supply 450w for more than 30 seconds without blowing up, they just make the numbers up on cheap PSUs. Since they're old parts it's probably not worth buying a new psu. It's not going to be the end of the world if your psu blows up & takes another £10 part with it - not worth spending £40-£50 on a psu when the rest of the pc isn't worth much more, so you might as well try the old psu. As long as you're not expecting it to be totally reliable & run forever then you might as well put your old parts to use.

Edited by anywebsite

Dual/Quad core won't need 750w. I have a triple core, 4GB DDR3, PCI-E G/FX and a massive cooling system (more than I really need) using a 500w PSU with no issues.

Without knowing the exact component details I fed "best guess" into this site:

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power

and it recommends a minimum power supply of 320w so your 450w should do just fine.

This could be another useful sticky (and also posted by gillybear:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8743574&postcount=13)