Illegal gas fitters

Hi all who read this topic. Just bringing up this topic of illegal gas fitters as I dont think it is highlighted enough. Not only does it put gas fitters who do things correctly out of work it puts lifes at danger that could have been avoided by simply using a registered gas safe installer.

I know in the current climate people want to save as much as they can but saving fue quid on a boiler install or any other gas work could cost you far more in the long run, not just money but your life or your families.

What is everyone else's thought on illegal gas fitters?

Here are a fue websites to let you have a bit more of a read into facts

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn_how_to_be_gas_safe/illegal_gas_fitters.aspx

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2012/rnn-se-7912.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11546409

Thank you

Scott

Had a phone call a couple of weeks ago from a property company that advertises on here, wanting me to commission a boiler that had been fitted (I'm assuming it was fitted by someone unregistered or they would have been able to commission it). Told him in no uncertain terms that I would not touch it as it would be me in the firing line if anything went wrong with the boiler further down the line. No idea if the pipework had been flushed, If the gas pipe was the correct size, Flue connected and sited properly etc.

If the boiler hasn't been commissioned and the relevant paperwork filled out and registered, the boiler will not be covered by the manufacturers warranty.

The firm has been reported to Gas Safe for illegally carrying out gas work.

Good for you and everyone in general:thumbsup:

Whole-heartedly agree, well done mate. Get a number of these enquiries with various stories/reasons why the boiler has not been commissioned/registered. I follow your stance, by registering other peoples work it only encourages illegal fitters and takes work away from ligitimate tradesmen, I simply will not do it. Apart from the obvious reasons listed in the post above you can not guarantee the boiler is ligitimate, there are lots 'going missing' from warehouses all the time, the last thing any engineer needs is being questioned as to why he is handling/registering stolen goods. Not a good scenario

Had a phone call a couple of weeks ago from a property company that advertises on here, wanting me to commission a boiler that had been fitted (I'm assuming it was fitted by someone unregistered or they would have been able to commission it). Told him in no uncertain terms that I would not touch it as it would be me in the firing line if anything went wrong with the boiler further down the line. No idea if the pipework had been flushed, If the gas pipe was the correct size, Flue connected and sited properly etc.

If the boiler hasn't been commissioned and the relevant paperwork filled out and registered, the boiler will not be covered by the manufacturers warranty.

The firm has been reported to Gas Safe for illegally carrying out gas work.

Well, I'm due my landlord's Gas Safety Check on Tuesday, and I have my Gas Safe Certificate, to show them, for my cooker, which was professionally fitted last week by Corgigasman.

Report the illegal fitters, :thumbsup: and prevent someone being killed or maimed by improperly fitted gas appliances.

Let's not forget that even legitimate gas safe registered fitters can be shockingly bad too. See my previous posts regarding non sealed flue etc by gas safe reg company. But totally agree, will never sign off a boiler we havent installed.

It was the same with solar pv. Because we are MCS accredited for Solar PV and thermal we get builders etc asking us to sign off their installs. I have a good way of putting them off. I tell them the charge for doing so was the same as if we had fitted them, because for us to sign it off we would have to examine the install and commission it to such an extent, we may as well have fitted em.

A plumber asked me to sign of his own pv install, and I told him the price for us to cover our costs, reputation etc (knowing full well he'd say no it's too expensive) and to my amazement, he already had a company agree to sign it off for £350 including the hire of a cherry picker to get access up to inspect roof and panels.

All it does is cheapen and tarnish what should be a professional, squeaky clean, and safe industry.

Rant over.

Exactly. To commission someone elses work, its nearly as much work as an install. I'm very close to naming the company that asked for it doing because apparantly, they've got plenty of happy customers.............Just hope they're all still alive!