Should i buy ipad / tablet

our laptop (dell mini 9 hackintosh) is starting to flag, trouble booting, not running on mains etc. we're thinking of an i pad as so far as we can see it could: be our device for casual web browsing, used as a tv in our caravan, used to replace dvd player and music player in caravan, used as a media player in the back seat of the car to entertain little one, maybe a few apps for learning and education, and just be an all round entertainment machine. what are the differences between the different versions of ipad? are there any other brand tablets that'll fit our criteria? anyone have any experience of other tablets?

thanks for any help.

PS it wont be used to replace our main computer, just for the above.

You won't be able to connect a DVD drive/player directly to a tablet. Also tablets are designed to be internet devices, and be connected to the internet all the time.

They will be able to play high quality video, but if you don't have a wi-fi connection this could be a problem. Almost all mobile phone contracts have a data limit, and video eats data, even youtube.

You can get an Android tablet that will take an Micro SD card, such as the ASUS Transformer, and copy some video onto that.

Having said that, I would say get a tablet. They are really good, I played with an iPad, but bought an Android one, but that was more to do with having an Android phone already.

Another thing to consider, how are you going to be using this? A large screen tablet, 10.1 inch screen isn't quite as portable as one with a 7inch screen. The larger screen is great for use around the home but a bit bulky when out and about.

K.

not concerned about not being able to connect a dvd drive, we'll use the main computer to transfer dvd's via itunes (i have an ipod touch so this isn't an issue) what android do you have? does it do everything i want? how much was it? thanks for the help folks.

what does an ipad 3 do that a 1 wont?

3 is same as 2 but 3 is more better at games but 1 can do what 2 and 3 can do but at far less cost.

Plus 1 is far easier to jailbreak and can be jailbroken as soon as a new update is launched, 2 & 3 you ave to wait or it can't be done.

3 is same as 2 but 3 is more better at games but 1 can do what 2 and 3 can do but at far less cost.

Whoa! Slow down there!

I have the 1st Gen iPad - and although its still great, its not true to say it can do everything the iPad 2 and 3 can. Its becoming more common for some apps to require the iPad2 as minimum (eg Wonders of the Universe). It can feel sluggish sometimes too - iBooks for example seems to hang on a blank screen for ages before loading the library or opening the book.

These are not massive problems, and if you can get one for about £200 its a bargain - but I'd probably look for a refurbished iPad 2 right now.