Why is Facebook worth £104 billion

So i was sat flicking through the tv today and couldnt find anything good to watch so i decided to have a look at what Mr Zuckerberg was worth now its estimated at £17.5 Billion!

Now i remember a while back i read abit of literature from Zuckerberg and it said facebook was created purely for the benefit of local friends and family to communicate it was never his intention to make money from it.

I wondered do people believe that i personally do but thats purely because ive looked at this guy a few times and he seems like a grounded guy ie not a guy who always knew he was going to be 52nd on the forbes rich list.

He started it at Uni, I believe, just for (Harvard?) students to keep i touch with each other, and it slowly expanded. Whether that was his intention, I don't know, but he does seem very grounded, I agree. I watched a documentary on him a while back and found it strange that he rented his apartment.

It was something like that leah cant remember the exact specifics if im honest.

It is a little strange that he rents and doesnt own the thing i like about him is altho hes absolutely minted hes not an arrogant twonk for example theo pathitis i really do NOT like him.

He started it at Uni, I believe, just for (Harvard?) students to keep i touch with each other, and it slowly expanded. Whether that was his intention, I don't know, but he does seem very grounded, I agree. I watched a documentary on him a while back and found it strange that he rented his apartment.

It was something like that leah cant remember the exact specifics if im honest.

It is a little strange that he rents and doesnt own the thing i like about him is altho hes absolutely minted hes not an arrogant twonk for example theo pathitis i really do NOT like him.

I know what you mean :hihi:

Does he actually make MONEY though, a lot of it, or is it just the site VALUE?

Eventually, I imagine Facebook wearing thin, a new fad coming along, less and less people using the site. Its value could drop immensely.

I wondered that, but so many people really do use it to communicate and organise their lives.

A thing I dislike is that after a while you can tell those who use it too much and can't really converse anymore, they just sort of give updates.

I guess it took over from friends re-united

I like facebook but have never tried twitter

something else will come along to take over I guess ........ wish I could think of something errrr let me get racking my brains

You have a valid point altho the £17.5 billion is just site value he does own 28.4% shares in his "own" company so that should make him a buck or two.

No idea how this shares business works so forgive me if im not correct.

I wondered that, but so many people really do use it to communicate and organise their lives.

A thing I dislike is that after a while you can tell those who use it too much and can't really converse anymore, they just sort of give updates.