Jackie Chan to Quit Action Films

Heard that his next and final action film will be Chinese Zodiac (2012).

Such a massive shame but after all the hell he has put his body through performing some of cinema's most dangerous and spectacular stunts he is bowing out at the tender age of 58.

He is apparently focussing on slowing down and doing more acting roles, fair play to him, he was a childhood idol and a massive inspiration to me in the 80s and 90s.

Loved his more raw and fierce original Chinese films and you could tell he had to water it all down for an American audience, but his original stuff is something to behold, he is genuinely one of the nicest men who has ever lived and is completely without ego unlike the big steroid American show boats, he was also a classically trained dancer in the China Drama Academy and it is where he learned his trademark martial arts techniques and was also quite violently looked after by teachers who taught him, Biao Yuen and Sammo Hung Kam-Bo with the most vicious iron fists.

My favourite films are as follows...

Project A (1983) - Probably my favourite film, the comedy and action was insane and his banter with Biao Yuen and Sammo Hung Kam-Bo was unreal, also, the whole sequence building up to and including that tower clock fight scene was about as nerve jangling and dangerous as a fight gets, he also nearly died falling down that clock face as he did it in 2 takes and the second went drastically wrong as he fell out of a window canopy onto his back almost causing permanent damage.

Wheels on Meals (1984)

Police Story (1985)

Armour of God (1986)

City Hunter (1993)

Rush Hour (1998)

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)

Rumble in the Bronx (1995)

Edited by PrimalJay

He isn't doing the sequel to the Karate Kid remake then? I thought he played a respectable tribute to the late Mr Miyagi in that.

Heard that his next and final action film will be Chinese Zodiac (2012).

Such a massive shame but after all the hell he has put his body through performing some of cinema's most dangerous and spectacular stunts he is bowing out at the tender age of 58.

He is apparently focussing on slowing down and doing more acting roles, fair play to him, he was a childhood idol and a massive inspiration to me in the 80s and 90s.

Loved his more raw and fierce original Chinese films and you could tell he had to water it all down for an American audience, but his original stuff is something to behold.

Project A (1983) - Probably my favourite film, the comedy and action was insane and his banter with Biao Yuen and Sammo Hung Kam-Bo was unreal, also, the whole sequence building up to and including that tower clock fight scene was about as nerve jangling and dangerous as a fight gets, he also nearly died falling down that clock face as he did it in 2 takes and the second went drastically wrong as he fell out of a window canopy onto his back almost causing permanent damage.

Wheels on Meals (1984)

Police Story (1985)

Armour of God (1986)

City Hunter (1993)

Rush Hour (1998)

The Forbidden Kingdom (2008)

Rumble in the Bronx (1995)

I really like Rumble in the Bronx, I think that's my favourite Chan film.

well he is getting on a bit lol, hes done a lot of less actiony films too

well he is getting on a bit lol, hes done a lot of less actiony films too

He's only in his 60s, so he's not THAT old.

If Bruce Lee (RIP) were still with us he'd be 71 this year.

yeah but bruce aint still doing action films lol.

im all creaky and ache bending down lol never mind what he does and im nowhere near 60 :P

Hello all my friends and fans,

Yesterday in my press conference in Cannes for Chinese 12 Zodiac I said that this movie was my last big action movie.

Today I was shocked when I woke up to read all the news coverage that I was retiring from doing Action movies.

I just want to let everyone know that I am not retiring from doing action movies. What I meant to say is that I need to do less of the life risking stunts on my movies. After all these years of doing so many stunts and breaking so many bones, I need to take better care of my body so I can keep working.

I will continue to do international action movies.

And I will keep improving my English :-)

I love all of you!

Jackie

He's not quitting, he's just calming down on the dangerous stunts.

Project A

Wheels on Meals

Police Story

Armour of God

City Hunter

Rush Hour

The Forbidden Kingdom

Rumble in the Bronx

Good list that - havent seen the forbidden kingdom, but seen a few clips from it on youtube. Will have to give it a proper watch. I suppose i'd add First Strike and Twin Dragons to the list, just for the lols they give every once in a couple years :hihi:

Good list that - havent seen the forbidden kingdom, but seen a few clips from it on youtube. Will have to give it a proper watch. I suppose i'd add First Strike and Twin Dragons to the list, just for the lols they give every once in a couple years :hihi:

First Strike and Twin Dragons are also immense films, man, he had a magical way of doing the most creative fight sequences like poetry in motion, seamless and effortless, like each fight was a dance routine, which film had the circular saw fight sequence where he almost gets himself chopped up and falls back on the table and the saw is between his legs riding up, that was nuts to say the least.

I read an interview with Chan a few months ago and he said the training needed to keep him in the shape he is in is almost constant and that at his age no amount of training can keep injuries at bay, he is old and has to wind things down.

Actually he's 58 Rich and do you think Bruce Lee would have still been doing the same thing at 58 years old - I doubt it

Actually he's 58 Rich and do you think Bruce Lee would have still been doing the same thing at 58 years old - I doubt it

Bruce Lee's body wouldn't allow him to do the same thing aged 33 let alone 58.