Now Reopened -Waggon & Horses, Millhouses.

verona

Another pub closed. I wonder what will happen to it now. It was looking very tired inside and needs a heck of a lot of money spending on the place. But it's in a prime location with plenty of passing trade. It will probably need someone like Thornbridge to trun in around.

Another pub closed. I wonder what will happen to it now. It was looking very tired inside and needs a heck of a lot of money spending on the place. But it's in a prime location with plenty of passing trade. It will probably need someone like Thornbridge to trun in around.

Having just taken over the Beauchief I wouldnt though they would be interested in a venue about a kilometer away, but you never know.

Didn't it only reopen a few months ago? I've not been up that way for a while

No. You're thinking of The Millhouses, that's still open and a nice pub now.

The Waggon used to be the only pub in the area that let kids in. They all let them in now if you are having food, so maybe this had something to do with it closing. I only tried the food a couple of times and it wasn't very good compared to other pubs in the area.

Always were nice with our kids. Also tried their best with the old folk and did all sorts of ideas with the menu. That said, the food was never much good and the beer was very limited. Sad to see them go though as they worked hard at keeping it going imho.

Used to go in fairly regularly and clearly the family that ran it worked hard to make it work.

However its a pub co (not sure which one) and the last time I went in they were charging £3.25 for carling and about £3.60 for guiness which is way over the top for a pub like that imo.

Sorry for the staff and management though they were always very friendly.

I don't think the pub has done well for years. I remember what I suspect was its heyday in the 1970's when the nearby Millhouses Lido was in full swing and a very popular spot on a sunny summer afternoon. After a long day lazing in the sun some of us would hit the Wagon & Horses for early evening drinks and a chance to see the contestants one more time, not in their swimsuits.

At other times it was a convenient stopping off point en route to Michelle's bar at the Beauchief - which was in turn a convenient stopping off point for Fiveways, later to be called "Fannys" at Owler Bar. Much less of a meat-market in recent years since it became a Crown Carvery!

I hope the Waggon could re-open at some stage and capture some of the old magic that the place used to have at one time. I'm fairly local and would go there if it had good food and especially if it had good real ale.

Which is why Thornbridge pubs, in particular, are going from strength to strength.

New management will be in the Waggon and Horses going forward from next week, if all goes to Plan. Seems to me that several of the staff don't want to stay on and work for them though...