HELP!! Cant access Laptop BIOS

I have replaced the CMOS battery... that was the problem. It's now on BIOS and everytime you start it, it gives you options like F2 for accessing BIOS and F12 for boot options.

Sorted.

Sorted!!

This guy is the BEST!! :D

Ok, now here's the next problem with it!!

Have just got a hard drive for it, that has XP on it, put it in the laptop and all I get is it trying to boot to windows and BSOD.

Tried a second hard drive that has vista on it, get the same message.

Put in my XP installation disc to try and re-install XP, when it gets to Loading Windows screen, it says there's no drives, now I've done a bit of research and I think my copy of XP doesn't have Sata Controllers on it, (yes, its a Sata H/D, 200GIG) was going to use my Vista upgrade disc after installing XP, but as its only an upgrade, I cant install it on its own.

So has anyone got any ideas round this, or an XP with Sata Controllers on or a a Vista Full Installation I can use, using the OEM code on the laptop?

:help::help::help::help::help::help:

Sounds like you need to change the SATA to 'Legacy' mode IF there's an option for it in the bios, if not, You may need to download some drivers for it, stick it on a USB drive formatted as a Floppy Drive...

if it's an XP-SP1 or above Install disk, then it should have most SATA drivers on it, Vista certainly should, and Windows 7 will deff..

Sounds like you need to change the SATA to 'Legacy' mode IF there's an option for it in the bios, if not, You may need to download some drivers for it, stick it on a USB drive formatted as a Floppy Drive...

if it's an XP-SP1 or above Install disk, then it should have most SATA drivers on it, Vista certainly should, and Windows 7 will deff..

As far as I can tell, its XP Pro with SP2 on it, and had a look in Bios and cant see anything to change from Sata to Legacy :huh:

dont have anything to download onto, and wouldnt even know what to look for if I had, but thanks for the advice! :)

the other option might be, set it up to install from a USBflash drive, and during that, package the SATA drivers along with it..

or, use another machine to install onto the HDD, installing only a base windows, with no other software or drivers..

First though, are you 100% sure the HDD is being picked up in BIOS? :)

Tried to do a fresh install, Windows loads in and then then says :

Unknown Disk

<There is no disk in this drive>

Problems with the sata....?

Will try and get down later :D

F12 is usually boot options key, you will need to remove cmos battery if that fails also before you do this make sure you detach main battery and hold down pwr button first for 30 seconds.