Are othermakes of lense compatible with Canons?

56cheffy

This is probably a dumb question, but are other lenses compatible or does it just take Canon lenses?

I bought my son a CANON EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm + 75-300mm Zoom Lens for Christmas.

The reason I ask is because he mentioned he would like a 'wide angle' lense for a birthday present.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

You can use other 'makes' of lens such as Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, as long as they are Canon lens mount.

In terms of a super-wide, wider than the 18mm you already have then I'd recommend the Sigma 10-20mm - Harrison's sell it around £399, or alternatively it's on ebay for around £340.

The Sigma Paul has mentioned can be bought from Amazon for £378. It's also available from another seller for just £329 though I've never heard of them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007U00X0/watersphotogr-21/ref=nosim

Another good alternative is the Tamron 10-22 which is around £350.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001GVINA6/watersphotogr-21/ref=nosim

• 4 weeks later...

There are also ways of adapting other lenses to fit your camera.

However, the flange focal distance (the distance between the focal plane (film or sensor) and the rear element of the lens) will dictate whether or not an extra lens element is required in the adapter to preserve the infinity focus. If the distance between the focal plane and rear element is greater than the lens was originally built for, it will only focus at close range. Using adapters with glass in is generally a bad idea (extra glass degrades quality etc etc).

However, there are a number of lens mounts which have a long flange distance which makes it possible to adapt to Canon mount without the need for glass. The adapter will be machined to the thickness required to create the flange focal distance required for your camera and lens' flange focal distance.

A notable one is Olympus OM mount. These lenses, which are manual focus but incredibly sharp and fast, can be found for next to nothing in places like Harrison's second hand section. An adapter with AF-confirm assistance costs about £20. Well worth it imo.

For more info on flange focal distance see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

edit - if I recall correctly, old screw mount Pentax M42 lenses pretty much adapt to anything.