Problems accessing webpages

DaFoot

I have an old XP machine here with some odd behaviour I'm trying to sort out.

When I enter a URL the browser (it doesn't matter which one I use) spins as if loading but ultimately it times out.

• Network connection is good (I can see other machines).
  • Internet connection/dns is ok (tested with ping/netstat/tracert)
  • Problem continues after 'ipconfig /flushdns' to try and force refresh
  • No bad entries in hosts file
  • Run various malware/AV scans and used CCleaner to tidy up, spybot/adaware/malwarebytes - none find an issue
  • The internet connection/DNS for the network is good - I can still access internet on other devices (eg my tablet (Android) and main (Fedora) PC)

IP address is assigned via DHCP, I've not specifically set the default gateway, ever, on this machine.

Google is the homepage on this machine, which can be viewed when a browser is started. I can perform searches from the homepage (Google) but clicking on links fail.

IP address is assigned via DHCP, I've not specifically set the default gateway, ever, on this machine.

Google is the homepage on this machine, which can be viewed when a browser is started. I can perform searches from the homepage (Google) but clicking on links fail.

i recently bought a laptop with xp on and recently started with wifi, the laptop struggles to read some websites but others are fine.........even ones the kids 7 lappy can view and my vista machine can which is cabled to the router

Have you checked what IP address has been assigned? Is it wireless? A while back when others were booting wirelessly on XP with DHCP from the router I would get the dreaded 169.254.xxx.xxx assigned (private network) which means you can see other machines on the network but not get out! If this is the case you need to download the winsockXPFix.exe from here:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Step-by-step instructions on how to use here:

http://www.techgravy.net/2009/04/ho-w-to-fix-unstable-internet.html

Edited by swarfendor43
Link to steps on howto use program

I don't think DNS is the issue - other machines that rely on same router don't have problems. Unless some sort of DNS hijack is going on, but checked hosts file and run numerous scans.

I'll try explicity setting DNS servers on the machine tomorrow.