Fancy rats vs Gerbils

Sadly my hamster Houdini passed away a couple of days ago due to being very ill and old.

I am thinking about getting either a pair of fancy rats or a pair of gerbils as my next little furries. I haven't owned a rat before and I've only come into contact with them while studying a Diploma in Animal Care - let's just say they enjoyed eating fingers. I have however had a single gerbil around 7 years ago so I know how to look after those.

I currently have this cage http://www.petsathome.com/shop/gerbilarium-by-pets-at-home-15962 if I was to get a pair of gerbils. Would this be suitable to accommodate 2 happily?

Obviously for a pair of rats I would need a larger cage. What size cage would I need? Obviously the bigger the better but I don't want anything really big.

The question is which make more entertaining pets, rats or gerbils? Also the difference in care for both of them. I am leaning more towards fancy rats at the moment as it's a new adventure in the world of furries.

Also are there any breeders on here? It would be great to meet some fancy rats before committing myself to them. I would be looking at getting them towards the end of June when my partner leaves the Army and things are settled and it gives me time to research more into them. So it's not a big rush to get them.

Hi it has to be fancy rats every time for me! If you get some that have been handled from an early age you cant beat them.

Lillyland on here breeds them and she would happily advise you on cage size etc.

HI, We have had gerbils and rats and love both. However it depends how much time you have. Rats need at least an hour a day out of their cage to explore and free run as they are very intelligent and need this stimulation. Handled from an early age and housed in a large cage such as a savic freddy 2, with lots of environmental enrichment they make fabulous pets. On the downside they can often develop tumours and respiritary illness as they get older and if your environment is not warm enough. There are rat clubs you can join such as yorkshire rat club for morr info and these are very friendly and full of ratty people.

About gerbils, they need a cage like this http://www.petsathome.com/shop/extra-large-gerbilarium-by-pets-at-home-15972

And again handled from an early age and kept at least as a same sex pair they make friendly pets. They need less time than rats although you will need to get friends and family to save toilet roll middles as they are prolific chewers. Rats and gerbils should not be kept using shavings as this can irritate their respiritary systems and eyes. A substrate such as finacard is much better and a litter like Bio Catolet for the base of the rats cage.

Hope this helps.

Iv never owned gerbils but loooovvvee my rats. They are so clever and friendly. They do take quite a bit of time though they need stimulation and attention. There downfall is def their short lifespan ther so interactive it is heartbreakin when they die. Iv lost 2 o my oldies since xmas and have jus had my youngest boy diagnosed wiv an agressive tumour wich will prob take him from me in the next few months. It breaks my heart every time but i just make myself think its worth it for the happiness they bring wile thy are here and i think as long as u give them a good happy life full of love there short lifespan doesnt matter so much.

I also def recommend lillyland as a breeder i wouldnt go to anyone else

Im a gerbil fan, been chomped by too many rts and hamsters, never by a gerbil.

I use megazorb as a substrate and they love burying in it also lots and lots of toilet roll tubes. Gerbils hardly smell, being a desert dwelling species they are built to conserve their waste. I had mice years ago and they were a lot more pungent, seemed to have a habit of scent marking their homes, even the females (rubbing their faces on parts of the cage). I hear what folk are saying about rats; ive never owned any purely because we have an idiot dog and barmy moggies that would make a rat's life hell, plus, theyd need a lot more room than our gerbils (my two are in a reptile tank in the alcove, 30x12x18 inch, perfect for a pair or three gerbil

Edited by katkin

if you want to just sit back and enjoy, gerbils, if you want to be hands on and wild and free then rats, ran sheffield gerbil rescue for a while before my daughter and I developed terrible allergies, despite using petalcleanse :-( so lived with both, we used natural peat/shavings and hay in ours, meant that 2 gerbils could live in a 12x18x24 tank with a gerbilarium on top quite happily, could make the most amazing tunnels, and only need cleaning out 2 to 3 times a year. Rats need to be out everyday, lots os stimulation and lots of hands on stuff.

I've had both and it's RATTIES every time! I love my boys :)

Rats for sure! :P

You are welcome to come and see mine if you want to meet some first - I do work full time though, so it would have to be either after work one day or at a free weekend (although i don't seem to have many of those anymore!)

Definately Rats, they have the best personalities and are extremely loving x Flossy my gerbil was a biter ...