Car won't start- women friendly garage- my hiney!

can you hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned to first click??

cant see it being starter motor. most probably mass air or even bad earth

There is no first click. That's the puzzle. I tried it several times.

I rolled it a bit down the drive, I pumped each of the pedals, I did all the usual things (I've owned a lot of bangers in my life) but there was NO sound. No click, no whirr, nothing.

faulty ignition or Starter motor and you wont get a click

Wow, thanks you for all your help.

You know more about cars than the garage I've been taking it to. :)

Grrrrrrr, rah!!!

Over tha last 4 months, I've had my car in the garage 4 times for the same problem.

1- we couldn't find anything wrong love, but we replaced the exhaust. That'll be $£180 sweetheart

2- couldn't find anything wrong with it. Hooked it up the the computer and computer said no. Don't worry about paying darling

3- we gave it a full service, that'll be £180...... Could have something to do with the exhaust, but thata different issue.

'but I had the exhauset replaced 6 weeks ago- cost me £180'

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY? You got ripped off!! Where did you take it?

Here!!! I got it done HERE!

4- we've taken apart (enging part) and looked at it, but leave it in over night and we'll work on it tomorrow, love.

(next day) - oh, the Astra? Nah, can't work on that today, love. No-one is here to do it sweetheart. Sorry about that darling.

Well today, I have iot booked in to a PROPER garage, but the darn thing is dead.

I turn the key and the dash lights come on, but that's all. No sound. Not even a click.

I'm SO angry.

A broken earth strap between engine and body would also give you these same symptoms.

I've had the battery on charge for about an hour, but still nothing. The new garage people are going to drop around after lunch to see if they can get it started.

I rang the old and they told me to 'bring it down' how? In a supermarket trolley?:)

A broken earth strap between engine and body would also give you these same symptoms.

I'd go with this.

I'd go with this.

I'm sitting in my car now. I don't know why- I know it doesn't work, but the keys are on the seat next to me, but the radio is on, the back and front wipers work, there are 4 lights lit up on the dash - battery, oil, exhaust emmission and Alternator.

Can I see this Earth Strap from looking under the bonnet, or is it one of the parts I'd need to be under Neath to see?

Its an Astra- BUSTEDSOFA was almost right. :)

I'm sitting in my car now. I don't know why- I know it doesn't work, but the keys are on the seat next to me, but the radio is on, the back and front wipers work, there are 4 lights lit up on the dash - battery, oil, exhaust emmission and Alternator.

Can I see this Earth Strap from looking under the bonnet, or is it one of the parts I'd need to be under Neath to see?

Its an Astra- BUSTEDSOFA was almost right. :)

Not sure on the Astra, but we had a similar problem on my Daughter's Rover.

I cleaned the negative terminals on the battery, and all the earth straps that I could see in the engine bay (took the starter motor off and cleaned all it's connections).

Put it all back together and it started fine. I then covered all the earth points with petroleum jelly to keep moisture out.

That was 3 months ago, and she's had no starting issues since.

I'd take off the battery leads, clean the connections with a little wire wool (or fine sandpaper) then connect them back up.

Please be aware that some radios are coded and if you take the battery leads off the radio may lose the code. If yours is like this please make sure that you've got the radio code and know ho to re-enter it.

What year / engine is it?

So they replaced the exhaust without checking with you the customer, first??

So they replaced the exhaust without checking with you the customer, first??

Nah - I'd been asking them to do it for about 18 months because I didn't want it to rust off on the motorway, and they finally did it - but only becasue they thought it would fix the initial problem.

Convert, It is a Y reg - 2001, I think?

They are definitely dodgey - wont fix things I have asked them to do because 'it isn't included in the MOT', recommend to have the snapped suspension spring replaced EVERY time I take it in (I'm sure suspension springs are supposed to last more than 3 months)

They've never done my boyfriend any wrong and they always do what is asked when he takes my car in.

I think I will prefer a place that doesn't heavily advertise 'Female Friendly' Maybe they only have to posters up to convince themselves.

Two lovely, lovely mechanics came to my house from the garage near the oldest football ground.

They tokk one look at the car, shook their heads and told me they couldn't do anything..... BUT knew an electrician who did.

A lovely, lovely electrician came out, took the steering mechanism apart and found part of the ignition shaft had broken off.

10 to each of you who guessed 'ignition' whoop.

He's getting new parts for me, the will take it to the shop to get the original problem seen to.

Thumbs up for all involved from the place near the football ground.

Two lovely, lovely mechanics came to my house from the garage near the oldest football ground.

They tokk one look at the car, shook their heads and told me they couldn't do anything..... BUT knew an electrician who did.

A lovely, lovely electrician came out, took the steering mechanism apart and found part of the ignition shaft had broken off.

10 to each of you who guessed 'ignition' whoop.

He's getting new parts for me, the will take it to the shop to get the original problem seen to.

Thumbs up for all involved from the place near the football ground.

Result:thumbsup: