Plum Tree, advice needed

Can someone give me some advise please, Ive got a Victoria plum tree, its about four years old, and last year i had seven plums, i know very sad to count them but I was that chuffed to get any.

This year I had loads of flowers and I can see all the little plums, but now it looks like its got some sort of grub in its leaves and some of the leaves are curling, is there anything I can spray it with.

No blossom usually means no fruit but the tree is still only a young one so don't give up yet.

Our victoria plum was a mature tree when we moved here allmost 16 years ago. It didn't fruit to begin with but one day I was removing an ugly and woody lavender bush from the lawn on the other side of the garden when I dug up a root. The root was massive and as I pulled it it snaked across the lawn pulling the lawn up as it went. I chopped it and stomped the lawn back down and then traced it back the other way and it seemed to belong to the plum tree!

The following year we had an amazing crop of the finest plums ever. It would appear that in an older non-fruiting plum tree if you find a leader root by digging around the base of the tree, and then prune the root back it will cause the tree to fruit the following season. I did it inadvertantly but it worked. lol

Sadly this tree is now in a sorry state but I can't remove it because it's acting as a prop to our wonderful Bramley apple tree. This apple tree is also an old tree but fruits fantastically year upon year (as does our eating apple tree) but because of where it is and how heavy it is, it's leaning sideways.

I'll leave it though until it no longer fruits. Right now both the Bramley and the eating apple are stuffed with blossoms so it looks like we'll be in for another bumper crop.

Another thing with the plum tree............if the frost gets the blossom then you won't get any fruit.

our plum tree is also 3 years old . but it has not flowered yet? does it means that we will not get any plum this year?

No flowers no fruit Im afraid, this is the first year mine has really flowered, and this is its fourth year, I cant wait for the plums I love them.

Just to ask then will it not hurt to leave the aphids, i have read somewhere else to spray with weak washing up liquid solution.

It sounds like aphids but I'm not sure what you could spray it with. Maybe good old soapy water might get rid of them.

Failing that....................pray for an invasion of ladybirds. :hihi:

Does sound like Plum Tree Leaf Aphid.... Provado Ultimate Bug Killer should sort it..

All plants respond to a perceive threat of destruction :D

Pruning fruit trees causes them to respond by trying to reproduce - by producing fruit. That's also why you shouldn't let your strawberries tip root

Aphids breathe through tiny holes down the sides of their bodies, which is why soap solution can kill them - it creates a film over their breathing aparatus

If it can be avoided, I wouldn't spray deadly chemicals on something you intend to eat :gag:

Guest sibon

If it can be avoided, I wouldn't spray deadly chemicals on something you intend to eat :gag:

Whilst I agree in principle, thiacloprid is only deadly to insects.

It won't hurt you.... unless you have the nervous system of an aphid.