China in manpower struggle

Apparently because of China's one child policy they now have a manpower shortage.

With all the manufacturing businesses needing to fill vacancies this means that Chinese people can pick and choose their jobs and obviously they are going for the better paid, thus forcing wages up.

It's still a long way below British minimum wage, but growing fast.

Workers sleep at the factory and only go home twice a year.

Did anyone else see the programme on BBC 2 last night? 'The town taking on China?' Very interesting.

Watched it with fascination. I have spent a lot of time in China (and love it there).. The on child policy isnt really adhered to in the big cities. I know plenty of people there with siblings.

Apparently because of China's one child policy they now have a manpower shortage.

With all the manufacturing businesses needing to fill vacancies this means that Chinese people can pick and choose their jobs and obviously they are going for the better paid, thus forcing wages up.

It's still a long way below British minimum wage, but growing fast.

Workers sleep at the factory and only go home twice a year.

Did anyone else see the programme on BBC 2 last night? 'The town taking on China?' Very interesting.

Yes I saw the program last week. It was fascinating. With workers giving their bosses ultimatums.....what a difference from here. Having employers effectively 'pitch' their vacancies to the employees.

Once upon a time in this country I remember being able to ditch one job on a Friday and start another of my choice on the Monday morning. I wonder if we'll ever get back to a situation like that? Probably not!

Problem can be solved by downsizing their army. It's too big for a modern army anyway

Watched it with fascination. I have spent a lot of time in China (and love it there).. The on child policy isnt really adhered to in the big cities. I know plenty of people there with siblings.

actually the number of children per woman is much more in the countryside than in the cities in China.

overall, the fertility rate of Chinese women is about the same as the UK, Thailand, Iran of which Thailand is the best example because they were facing the same problem China was around 1970, with a rapidly growing population threatening their economic growth potential. The Thais just launched major public relations family planning campaigns telling women that it might not be a good idea to have so many children as before. This turned out to be a message Thai women were only too ready to take heed of voluntarily. The Thai birth rate plummeted and Thailand got relatively wealthy compared to what it was before. The plan worked. No coercion was necessary. The one-child policy is a just a typical example of totally unecessary tyrannical Communist cack handedness.

my view is that the so-called Chinese 'demographic time bomb' is way overstated and the problem they are facing is far less than other Asian countries like Japan and Taiwan, where - even though they are much wealthier than China in the first place - birth rates really are so ludicrously low it's a really serious problem.

because China is perceived as an 'adversary' to the west, they are singled out. Nobody ever goes on about any 'Thai demographic time bomb', or indeed any other country, and there are a lot of them, where the birth rate is about the same as China's.

a bigger problem is the huge gender imbalance because so many newborns are boys, way way above the 1.05-1 global average, but this is not a problem only China faces. India faces it too.

I haven't seen the programme thanks for the heads up I'll look for it now.

Yes I saw the program last week. It was fascinating. With workers giving their bosses ultimatums.....what a difference from here. Having employers effectively 'pitch' their vacancies to the employees.

Once upon a time in this country I remember being able to ditch one job on a Friday and start another of my choice on the Monday morning. I wonder if we'll ever get back to a situation like that? Probably not!

I was doing that only 3 years ago, can't believe things have got so bad so quickly:mad:

Didn't it look like a rotten state of affairs in Kirby that the employer was only able to pay the min wage, pretty much guaranteeing a crap standard of living for his employees.