Is it time to get rid of traffic lights?

Do traffic lights cause more problems than those they purport to solve.

I read this interesting article today, and wonder if the guy is actually right.

How many times have you approached a junction where the lights are 'down' and found that traffic flows an awful lot better!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18072259

It all depends on the road. Traffic does flow to some degree, opposed to being stopped at red lights, but its much more dangerous because everyone thinks they have right of way.

People drive with care when the lights are out. It would only be a short space of time before they stopped caring.

It all depends on the road. Traffic does flow to some degree, opposed to being stopped at red lights, but its much more dangerous because everyone thinks they have right of way.

People drive with care when the lights are out. It would only be a short space of time before they stopped caring.

No one has the right of way at junctions with lights when they are not working.

It would only be a short space of time before they stopped caring.

They would only stop caring at their peril. I couldn't see me just sailing through regardless, when you know something could possibly be coming the other way. That would just be plain stupidity.

There's a place on the Way to Macclesfield from Stockport that has no road markings. Nothing apart from different colour bricks in the road. No zebras and no lights. It's a bit scary at first nagigation but seems to work.

There's a place on the Way to Macclesfield from Stockport that has no road markings. Nothing apart from different colour bricks in the road. No zebras and no lights. It's a bit scary at first nagigation but seems to work.

nagigation:huh::huh::huh:

Navigation.

Gimme a shout if you find any more typos you're too thick to decipher.

On my keyboard the V and G are very close together..how about yours? :)

It's a cross between nagging, and navigation!.....It's where the wife tells you which way to go, and in what lane you're in!.....:hihi::hihi::hihi:

(Sorry Bloomindido...couldn't resist it :)

No one has the right of way at junctions with lights when they are not working.

Exactly, so which road should take the lead? Last month the lights were out at two A roads which cross near me and it was carnage.

The days of polite motoring and common sense on the roads are dead, which is why we have to have lights, cameras and other technology.

Do traffic lights cause more problems than those they purport to solve.

I read this interesting article today, and wonder if the guy is actually right.

How many times have you approached a junction where the lights are 'down' and found that traffic flows an awful lot better!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18072259

They should just change them to green you have priority and red you can proceed if its safe. The down side is that some drivers wouldn't be capable of making a safe decision.

They should just change them to green you have priority and red you can proceed if its safe. The down side is that some drivers wouldn't be capable of making a safe decision.

What about like in America with flashing amber at night?.....and the right to go through a red light to turn left (when it's safe to do so).....there are lots of systems that clearly 'work' elsewhere.

Instead we've all been turned into sheep. Go when you're told. Wait when you're told. Traffic lights are part of the reason (as was mentioned earlier) that we don't have safe drivers on our roads.

How many forummer can 'honestly' say that when they go through a green light they actually check right and left to make sure there's nothing coming? (I do actually...not always...but I'm always wary).....The point is, is that we don't have to bother....cos the light says go, we go!