Rutland Arms Fined in Sex Discrimination Case

Nobody on the thread, including me, knows the facts about this case. Nobody... it is all a complete fairy tale spun by manipulative and self-serving people.

How do you know its all a fairy tale if, in your own words, you dont know all the facts?

But if they didn't and complained to you as the owner/manager, whatever position you hold, what then? Would you stop, or continue, as it's only a bit of 'banter'? Be careful, or you might find yourself on the wrong end of a case one day.

Anyone who works in a proper environment these days and not some tinpot little set-up knows it's a veritable minefield and applies equally to males and females. You can't torment and harass people in the course of their work these days.

obviously there is a line but normal office banter like this comes no where close, all my employees are women and let me tell you some of the stuff they say and do is far worse than what men do, everyone gets along and nobody takes offence, as for employment claims if it ever happened well lets just say it wont:hihi:

I want to say one last thing...I was in The Rutland recently, it was packed full of regulars and others and the atmosphere was, as always, brilliant (a good pub is only as good as its landlord.)

I was musing about the fact that in my sixth decade in Sheffield I have never witnessed such a wonderful pub with such great staff and happy clientele, and never any trouble. And then a horrible thought occured to me...knowing how the world works and knowing human nature, I wondered how long it would be before someone, somewhere, stuck the knife in. And now it's happened.

Well, The Rutland is going to continue to be popular and successful despite the actions of one bad apple in the barrel. The newspapers are tomorrow's fish and chip wrappers and The Rutland's impeccable reputation is already built in stone.

and if they don't?...

Perhaps one of them laughs and appears to shrug it off, then goes home crying because she finds you odious, threatening and demeaning but thinks she needs the job so daren't do anything else but smile and come up with a retort if she can

What a gentleman you are*

*If "Gentleman" was spelled beginning in T-O-S and ending in S-E-R that is...

then if that is the case they wont be working for us very long!!

as i am the only man there i get more than my fair share of ribbing? shall i claim off my own co?:loopy:

oh and mr Squggs i would always rather be a gentleman To ss e r as you put than a keyboard W*****r!!

... then if that is the case they wont be working for us very long!!
lol where there's blame, there's a claim. I can see a case materialising before my very eyes ... :cool:

Nobody on the thread, including me, knows the facts about this case. Nobody.

Many of the posts are conjecture and ill-informed insults, including from some who should know better. I can only vouch as a woman who frequently wears extremely revealing clothing that Andy is one of the least lecherous men I have ever met and none of the staff have ever behaved in a lecherous way towards me despite my attire. There is no culture of sexism or bullying at The Rutland Arms, it is all a complete fairy tale spun by manipulative and self-serving people.

In my experience (which is wide and varied) if men are grubby and lecherous enough to behave in the way the accuser has stated, it is never just reserved to one female and always spills over to many. For these reasons it is patently obvious to me that this woman has misused the justice system to make a fast buck. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened. In fact there's a notorious case going on right now where a manipulative woman is accused of perverting the course of justice (Rebekah Brooks.)

The staff at The Rutland Arms are happy, dignified, polite, considerate and courteous, every single one of them. It is currently not only one of the best pubs in Sheffield but by far the best pub in Sheffield because it is so brilliantly run and it is also independent without the heavily branded footprint of a large brewery all over its decor and beermats. The Rutland Arms has done so much for both Sheffield CAMRA (it won CAMRA pub of the month in January 2010 and that is not an easily won accolade, pubs are judged on far more than beer alone) and Sheffield, providing a hub for people working and living in the city centre, especially for Sheffield's thriving creative community, many of whom are young, vulnerable female art students, who I see time and again in The Rutland, even drinking on their own sometimes such is the atmosphere of safety and comfort in there.

Andy and his team deserve your support for helping Sheffield, not your blinkered and sheep-like thoughtless derision. When I first read of this grubby manipulative slander against them, it moved me to tears because what has happened is completely unjust and unfair. And I'm speaking as a staunch feminist who tirelessly campaigns for women's rights on Facebook and in my novels but am wise enough not to be flailing hysterically over any screeching bandwagon the minute a female makes a negative allegation against a male. More than sticking up for fellow women, I believe in sticking up for the truth.

Oh for God's sake. What a load of tripe, so now they are not a money making business they're some kind of community drop in centre caring for vulnerable people we should all be grateful for, they're a pub. They are doing jobs in return for money not performing some kind of selfless hari kari for the sake of Sheffield.

As you said yourself nobody including you knows the facts on this case but despite admitting that yourself you go on to make all kinds of 'slanders' yourself about the barmaid involved, her motives and reliabilty.

Let me give you a tip - admitting you do not know all the facts and exactly what happened then going on to state in detail exactly what happened in your opinion when you've already stated you don't have all the facts doesn't make a particularly persuasive argument, in fact it makes you look a bit silly, as does comparing her to Rebekah Brooks which is just silly.

You admit you don't know the truth but then say you're sticking up for it?

I can admit there may be room for doubt but you yourself said you don't know the facts then have proceeded to tell us all exactly what they are and considering you don't have all the facts I think your attack on the barmaid concerned is just as bad as any attack on the pub that has been made. Totally hypocritical.

Nobody on the thread, including me, knows the facts about this case. Nobody.

[...] There is no culture of sexism or bullying at The Rutland Arms, it is all a complete fairy tale spun by manipulative and self-serving people.

You've contradicted yourself in two paragraphs. How do you know there is no culture of sexism or bullying?

You follow it up with your own conjecture, about the evil manipulating barmaid - in it for a quick buck.

Andy and his team deserve your support for helping Sheffield, not your blinkered and sheep-like thoughtless derision.

I'll put my faith in the justice system, if you don't mind. At the point you cannot tell me that what the young barmaid said was lies or fabrication, I think my view seems balanced.

I can only vouch as a woman who frequently wears extremely revealing clothing that Andy is one of the least lecherous men I have ever met and none of the staff have ever behaved in a lecherous way towards me despite my attire.

Maybe they just don't fancy you?

For me there's nothing more of a turn off than a middle aged woman having everything out on show. :)

How come nobody seems to trust court verdicts? Any doubt and he`d have got off.

And btw I`ve been in 4 or 5 times and never been enamoured with the service or the ale. Nice food though.

Why didn't the barmaid complain to the managers boss ?

That seems to me the right way o go about things.

How much have the law firm made from this case ?

So from the entire case we have managed to work out that it's not only the beer that is flat

Why didn't the barmaid complain to the managers boss ?

That seems to me the right way o go about things.

How much have the law firm made from this case ?

In a past life, I complained to my boss about the amount of homophobic banter in the office I worked in. Subsequently, my team leader became even worse.

According to some advice I was given, if only they hadn't constructively dismissed me within 12 months of starting, I'd have had a case for constructive dismissal