Speed Camera Van Question

I think SY camera vans are operated by police aren't they, not contractors (not 100% sure)? If you block the line of sight you are potentially obstructing an officer in the execution of his/her duty.

Pretty sure he would have said something to you though, so probably just a coincidence.

I think SY camera vans are operated by police aren't they, not contractors (not 100% sure)? If you block the line of sight you are potentially obstructing an officer in the execution of his/her duty.

Pretty sure he would have said something to you though, so probably just a coincidence.

Manned by Coppers on overtime I believe. OP, if you were legaly parked - I would not worry.

Angel.

Manned by Coppers on overtime I believe. OP, if you were legaly parked - I would not worry.

Angel.

Who on earth told you that.

For goodness sake its all available quite clearly on the internet. They are manned by the Safety Camera Partnership. A completely separately funded, separately staffed joint partnership in conjunction with the police, local councils, magistrates courts and highways authorities. It sets its own agenda, sets is own operational guidance and has its own budget.

Normal police officers have never sat in their vans.

i was just going to do a post about this van, my daughter has moved to stocksbridge now, so when dropping her of home earlier, i went down the steep hill from grenoside to outibridge, as i went around the one way system i saw the camera van sat on the bend before shops, i was probably doing around 35, so what is the speed on that stretch, ive never been caught with a camera but do they flash like the static yellow ones? :(

I pass through Oughtibridge on a daily basis ,and stop off at the Newsagents for The Star on my way home. Today there was a mobile speed camera van lurking in its usual spot on the one way system ( stocksbridge bound). I passed the camera ,but there was nowhere to park ,so i went back round the one way system ,and parked about 100 yds back up the one way system from the camera van . I ve parked here many ,many times and its perfectly legal to do so . But today , on parking up in my motor i saw the camera pointer using his mobile radio . Now im wondering if he was reporting me for parking there ,as he had a camera pointing back up that road at traffic coming round the bend and past me.. As i say , its always been perfectly legal to park where i did ,and many ,many people park there when using the shops in the village.

It wasnt like i parked 5 feet from his open window where he was pointing his camera , hence blocking his line of fire :hihi:. I was 100yds back up the road. But why did he suddenly go on his radio when i pulled up there. :huh:

I saw your van as I drove past just before my wife spotted the police van and you were not parked illegally if you need back up :hihi:

I wasn't speeding by the way even if the camera couldn't see me!

i was just going to do a post about this van, my daughter has moved to stocksbridge now, so when dropping her of home earlier, i went down the steep hill from grenoside to outibridge, as i went around the one way system i saw the camera van sat on the bend before shops, i was probably doing around 35, so what is the speed on that stretch, ive never been caught with a camera but do they flash like the static yellow ones? :(

No they don't flash and the speed limit on that stretch is 30mph.

Who on earth told you that.

For goodness sake its all available quite clearly on the internet. They are manned by the Safety Camera Partnership. A completely separately funded, separately staffed joint partnership in conjunction with the police, local councils, magistrates courts and highways authorities. It sets its own agenda, sets is own operational guidance and has its own budget.

Normal police officers have never sat in their vans.

http://www.safetycamera.org/Content/filemanager/upload/file/Site%20Operations%20Policy%20-%20website%20version%207July2011.pdf

Page 5 "These are set up by the roadside and are attended by a police staff enforcement officer."

In fact HE was the only vehicle parked ILLEGALLY ,as he was sat on a small box hatching next to the pavement outside a shop entrance.

He wasn't parked illegally at all. They are EXEMPT from parking restrictions.

He wasn't parked illegally at all. They are EXEMPT from parking restrictions.

This being the case, is this why they had to get special permission from the council to park the camera van in a certain spot on the dual carrageway in Mexboro. If they are exempt why need council permission to park there.

If you have never had a speeding fine before you will probably just go on the naughty drivers course (£90 iirc), and receive no points.

they just a money making scam

Hardly a scam. Nobody has to pay; there's always the option of not breaking the law.