Speed Camera Van Question

That maybe so, but what about the unknown factors? When did you last check your tyres? Are the pressures and tread good? What about your brakes? Is that a patch of oil on the road? You don't have as long to look for hazards when doing 50 in a 30 zone.

It can take a fraction of a second from being in control to losing control. This fellow probably thought he had full control of his car:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/localbrad/9269799.Death_driver_jailed_for_causing_crash/

Bilal Hussain left his home minutes before losing control of the Vauxhall Vectra in Toller Lane, Bradford, and spinning and sliding into a Suzuki Alto coming the other way.

And have you ever considered why there may be a speed limit on the road - particularly one which seems inappropriate? Look at the Snake - if you didn't know the background you'd think there was no real reason why it should be 50mph. But a quick Google for news shows why, or just take a look at all the holes in the drystone walls.

And how can someone be under the speed limit and be tailgating? Tailgating is all about not keeping your distance, nothing to do with speed.

I'm glad you chose that example, there is no good reason why it has a 50 limit, it's inappropriate for the majority of the road in good conditions in that it's too low.

And in poor conditions or on the tight corners it's far too high, but a speed limit was never supposed to be as low as the most difficult to navigate portion of a road requires.

It's low because the powers that be can think of no alternative that might actually reduce the number of accidents on that road and they can't be seen to be doing nothing so they do the wrong thing instead.

I'm glad you chose that example, there is no good reason why it has a 50 limit, it's inappropriate for the majority of the road in good conditions in that it's too low.

And in poor conditions or on the tight corners it's far too high, but a speed limit was never supposed to be as low as the most difficult to navigate portion of a road requires.

It's low because the powers that be can think of no alternative that might actually reduce the number of accidents on that road and they can't be seen to be doing nothing so they do the wrong thing instead.

You're absolutely right. I've complained about the limit change but got back standard boilerplate about reducing accidents.

I've responded with the fact that when there is an accident, it briefly makes the BBC website and is then forgotten about.

Until drivers are educated about the obvious - years ago common sense came naturally, but no longer - nothing will change other than people still crashing, those refusing to comply with the limit speeding and getting caught on the camera and therefore giving the powers that be the lame excuse that people are still speeding so the road is not in a safe position to have it's limit reviewed. It's a vicious circle and we're the ones suffering.

I mean, what kind of dick is on the road driving at the limit and then losing control at the bends and crashing because he didn't have the foresight to reduce his speed? No doubt when he put his insurance claim in he blamed the road.

And how can someone be under the speed limit and be tailgating? Tailgating is all about not keeping your distance, nothing to do with speed.

Really, you need this explained?

Say I'm doing 25 mph, you approach doing 28mph (it's a 30 limit). You get to within 1 metre of me and slow down to match my speed.

You are now under the speed limit and tailgating.

Like I said tailgating is all about not keeping your distance, nothing to do with speed, which is what Penistone999's argument was about.

Like I said tailgating is all about not keeping your distance, nothing to do with speed, which is what Penistone999's argument was about.

Your post made it appear that you couldn't tailgate if you were under the speed limit...that's how it came across anyway..

Ah, sorry that wasn't my intention. I was trying to point out that tailgating has nothing to do with speeding.

Who on earth told you that.

For goodness sake its all available quite clearly on the internet. They are manned by the Safety Camera Partnership. A completely separately funded, separately staffed joint partnership in conjunction with the police, local councils, magistrates courts and highways authorities. It sets its own agenda, sets is own operational guidance and has its own budget.

Normal police officers have never sat in their vans.

What's the point in getting the titty lip on about it ?

I read some while ago that the camera vans where manned by police on overtime !

Ah, sorry that wasn't my intention. I was trying to point out that tailgating has nothing to do with speeding.

But it has everything to do with speed!

The slower the traffic speed is the closer drivers will bunch which is ONE of the negative effects of the speed kills rubbish.

Look behind any loon doing half the posted limit and you will find a train like pattern behind them with literally feet between them yet if the loon turns off the speed goes up and the gap increases although judging by your posts you probably dont even drive,but you certainly have plenty to say.

Not at all, but it does help. Perhaps you've never seen those adverts which state that if someone is hit by a car at 40mph there's an 80% chance they'll die, but at 30mph there's an 80% chance they'll live.

You just seem to assume that I think speeding is bad. It isn't, depending on the circumstances, location and many other factors - road conditions, car condition, state of driver, and so on.

For example:

Drink = good.

Driving = good.

Put them together and it's not.

Do you have any statistics for your claim that most accidents are caused within the speed limits? The accidents you speak of are most likely down to driver error due to not paying attention.

There have been times I've had to react because of someone not paying attention, and that reaction time would be far less if I'd been going faster than the speed limit.

Perhaps you should bear factors like that in mind? Or are you one of those who doesn't think of the consequences or thinks he's the best driver in the world?

Incidentally, weren't you on another motoring related thread trying to justify parking in disabled spaces? And I noticed you made the same argument (and came off worse) in this thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8402181#post8402181

Not to mention the threads about you not caring about smoking in cars, bus lane fines, bad parking in car parks, and others relating to speed limits (a little research can bring up a surprising amount of information about your manner!) It looks like you just don't care about any aspect of driving. No doubt you find anyone else on the road to be a hindrance to you. :)

You watch too much tv mate,you really need to get out more.

You watch too much tv mate,you really need to get out more.

Wow, great comeback. Such superior debating skills. And I hardly watch any TV! :)