Any recommendations for puppy grooming?

I have got a four month old Westie and I would like her to have a light trim.

I am not keen on the westie clip.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Decide whether you intend to have your Westie stripped or clipped. Once you have started clipping it is very difficult and sometimes not possible to revert to stripping.

Clipping does spoil the coat - it becomes soft and wavy.

The correct method of grooming is to hand strip but four months old is too young - she will probably be ready for a full strip between 9 and 12 months. If you take her to the groomer now all that can really be done is tidy the ears, feet, bottom and to take out the puppy fluff (the wispy hair that is slightly longer than the rest).

At this age it might be best just to keep her well brushed and combed. If you wish to take her to the groomer, choose a good one who specializes in hand stripping then you can discuss the pros and cons of each method. Be aware that most groomers will just take the clippers to her because many don't know how (and don't want) to hand strip properly.

Assuming (by your username) that you live in Sheffield 6 area, I can't help you with recommendations for a suitable groomer but if you can travel then as has been said, HHounds does strip terriers.

It would be useful for you to purchase a good book on the West Highland White Terrier which explains coat care and grooming so that you can get an understanding of it. A basic knowledge is always useful even if you intend to use a professional groomer.

Edited by ccit

I have just spoken to a lovely girl at Hardwick Hounds and when she is a little older I will be taking her to be hand stripped there.(just a bit of a hike from North Sheff but my little girl is worth it)

I brush her regularly and she has a lovely coat just getting a little long.

I don't like how groomers do the Westie cut lol and I want her to stay as naturally beautiful as she already is.

Thank you for the recommendations.

That's good news - the coat will be so much nicer for being stripped properly. The thing to remember though is that it is not possibly to always have the dog neat and tidy and this is often why people go on to clipping. Dependent on the type of coat, a full strip might only be possible every 6 to 12 months because you have to wait until the hair is ready to come out. You will know this by just taking a few hairs between finger and thumb and pulling - it will be no problem and the dog won't feel it. Between full strips you can take them to the groomer just for a tidy up though. This is pretty much as described above - ears, feet etc.

I have had a Westie before and I used to trim him myself but this little girl is a bit more feisty lol so I will not be attempting till she is older.

I would never use clippers and would only ever trim anyway.

She is getting very good with being brushed but to be fair I hadn't heard of hand stripping.

She has a lovely coat and I will try to maintain that as best I can.

Hi

just seen this thread. Thanks for all the recommendations guys :)

It was nice to speak to you loxleylovely and looking forward to meeting you and your little girl in a few months. If you havent read up on handstripping already, I've written some info on my website

http://hardwickhounds.co.uk/#/handstripping/4562795728

Hope this helps

x

I recommend Terri too!

Edited by upset

Aw thank you so much for your lovely recommendation, upset. I had no idea your dogs have had bad experiences! They were lovely for me, even when I plucked their ears lol.

See you all again when they're ready for a trim :)

Terri

Hi can anyone advise me please, at what age can a puppy be taken to be groomed ?We have a 14wk old lhasa Apso.Thank you in advance.

Edited by lyndyloo

Can somebody advise which food is best for puppy?