Good Health Clubs??

Originally posted by "steelblade"

>Ican't argue with that ,steelblade. If you're happy with it theres nothing more to say. Are these places privately owned or Council?<

They are run by the council.

Ah! that explains why they're such value for money. Would you agree that if they were privately owned it would cost more?

>Ah! that explains why they're such value for money. Would you agree that if they were privately owned it would cost more?<

Oh yes, I'm sure they would. I used to go to fitness first and I paid a lot more than £26 per month and you didn't get as many facilities. Althought you did get free (cheap and nasty) pop which was a bonus I suppose.

I was a bit dissapointed with FF to be honest. When I joined I was promised lots of goodies, including vouchers for beauty treatments etc...which all turned out to be a swindle. I cancelled my membership after 2 months and am really glad I joined Hillsborough.

I recently joined Esporata, tempted by their current waiving of the joining fee. It's bloody expensive but the gym is huge, never any waiting around for machines to become free, even at peak times.

I used to hate this sort of facility, but do find it fits in better with my busy life these days. Also, I can use the pool/saunas/etc which is a nice chillout and something I'd never do normally and am thinking of doing the (free) Ju-Jitsu classes. Recommended but pricey.

I joined the Hilton, Livingwell gym recently in the city centre. It is expensive but you get what you pay for. I was able to join for free as my work gets a corperate deal on free membership. Not sure how much it is to join. It's £42 a month for peak and off-peak use which is pricey, but everything is included. There is a fantastic high tech gym, pool, sauna, steam room, spa, studios that do all sorts of classes from yoga to spinning to step to pilates etc. You get a freshly laundered towel everytime you visit and all toiletries are free like shampoo, body wash, hair gel etc etc. The changing rooms are really nice with irons and irons boards, hair dryers, spinning machines for your swim suits to dry them off and plastic bags to put them in. So I find that convenient when I don't have to worry about bringing all that stuff with me. They have MTV screens throughout the gym and you get a personal instructor who assess's you and plots graphs of your progess and designs your programme. Also, I find that the equipment is available whereas when I tried out Ponds forge it was soooo busy and noisey and I couldn't get on the equipment as people where queuing!

Livingwell also has beauty salons which offer pretty much everything you can think off.

http://www.livingwell.co.uk/

Depends what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay I guess :)

esporta - is that the one/at the end of near london road (or abbeydale can't remember which is which) ? if it is, is it better than the Virgin Active gym which is closeby??

I'm a member of Greens, just off Ecclesall Rd, near the pub (which is why I joined it.....5 minute walk). It's £51 a month for any time useage - but I get it at £47 as I have a corporate membership for working for a large organisation that collects tax from us each month.

For this you can use any equipment, do any classes and use the pool. I find them to be very friendly, helpful, motivating and clean. The changing rooms are clean, there's never a queue to get on anything as there is a lot of equipment. There's all the usual things such as the big TVs, free weights, a variety of classes including yoga, tai chi, body max and aerobics.

It's VERY expensive but I find it convenient for the little spare time I get before the bands start playing in the evening at the pub and am prepared to pay for that convenience.

I was a member at Green's for about a year.. got a coorporate rate there. It's a very nice gym. I just recently cancelled the membership though because I found they weren't open late enough. I'm currently looking for a 24-hour gym, as I prefer to work out late, when it's really quiet..

anyone know of a secure 24-hour gym in town?