New tv channel for sheffield

just read this on the star website

BIDDERS are being invited to apply to run a new television channel for Sheffield as part of Government plans to set up 21 local stations in towns and cities across the country.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport revealed that applications have already been made from groups interested in running the service in Sheffield - although officials will not say how many bids are in so far.

Potential bidders still have time to apply - and must submit their application to industry regulator, Ofcom, by Monday, August 13.

Jeremy Hunt, Culture, Media, Olympics and Sport Secretary, said: “Local TV will not only create jobs, but it will also provide communities with news and content that is relevant to their daily lives.”

Ofcom will award the licence based on a set of criteria including: provision of local news and current affairs; proposals for programmes; planned launch date; and viability of the business plan.

The competition for licences is open to both commercial and not-for-profit bids.

Once up and running, the local TV service will be broadcast on Freeview and be available to the majority of households within the licence area

its about time we had a more relevant tv station for sheffield

I would have thought the majority of us people to the north of the city centre get their TV from Emley Moor so it'll be something for them who get their TV from Crosspool only. :(

No doubt Leeds will get one and us lot will end up getting that instead!!!

Cheers

Dave.

its about time we had a more relevant tv station for sheffield

If Manchester cannot sustain one (Channel M?) then Sheffield has no chance.

A complete waste of money, when the Government/Council are cutting valuable public services (I'd rather keep fire stations open, personally)

On a purely mercenary level, if it is being funded from central government, and nothing else is being knocked back locally to pay for it, then it is a great idea as it will create a few jobs and maybe raise Sheffield's profile a little.

However, I doubt I would ever watch it. As it is, the only times I ever listen to local radio is during heavy snow or flooding.

It could work if it worked on the same principles as public access channels in the US and Canada. It could be a springboard for new Sheffield talent. However it could also just end up being a dull local-interest channel like the terrible Channel M

On a purely mercenary level, if it is being funded from central government
Is there any mention of it being funded from government?

Sure, as some taxpayer money will be spent in the process of dishing out the licence, but after that, isn't it just up to the licence holder to make it viable?