Does anybody change the name of the area that you live in?

Originally posted by redrobbo

In recent years the useage of Lower Arbourthorne has gained in local parlance. This appears to have arisen since the establishment of the Hallyburton & Lower Arbourthorne Community Forum. Lower Arbourthorne, as far as the community forum is concerned, encompasses Daresbury Road, East Bank Road, East Road to the junction with Heeley Bank Road, and Myrtle Road from the junction with Heeley Bank Road - but Heeley Bank Road itself is not included in the description.

In the Arbourthorne Masterplan though, the cut off point for describing Arbourthorne was Walden Road, not East Road.

To confuse matters further.... a forummer who lives in this vicinity describes it as Heeley. Yet one of the shops and the public house on East Road refer themselves to Olive Grove (which is an area off the bottom of Heeley Bank Road, including a street name, the bus depot and the council depot), and Mathom said, "Lowfield is technically the hillside going up from Queen's Road bounded by East Bank Rd, Heeley Bank School and Prospect Road. Though it's far easier to say Heeley!".

I'm partly sticking with Mathom on this one - but choose to say I live in Lowfield as opposed to Heeley, despite the fact I live on Heeley Bank Road! If you're confused - you want to see how my mail is addressed! :hihi:

But Upper Heeley? That's a new description on me. Where is it?

Cheers for clarifying that - :)

'Sam Miguel' used to describe himself as living in Upper Heeley.

I remember sending up to 'Sam' in the post - I think it was Myrtle Road - sounds like a major road, as it was a high number - S2 4?

Originally posted by kentboy119

Oh yes - where's this 'Lower Walkley'? Surely there's just Walkley (in fact, I can't think of any 'Lower' anything at Sheffield). There are some 'Upper' places (where some will suggest the regular place is the 'Lower' place. But I can't think of that many 'Upper' places.

Upper[thorpe], Upper[Heeley], Upper[stannington]?

:)

Lower Walkley is near the Langsett Estate area,/ Upperthorpe (ish).

There's Lower Manor (Harborough Avenue-ish down to the Parkway)

ther's Lower Shiregreen, which is from around Nethershire lane-ish down past Deep Lane to woolley wood bottom aprox.

My mate, Kath, (who lives at Stannington) is adamant that there's a "Lower Stannington"...

Redrobbo, I would have described the area around Heeley Bank School, road/ Myrtle Road / Olive Grove pub etc as Heeley Bank.

Greybeard (and Kentboy)

Funny how perceptions change. When I was a kid there were three Heeleys. Heeley, Heeley Green and Heeley bottom, though I couldn't now say what distinguised them.

What about Upper Heeley? My dad used to take me and my sister to Upper Heeley WMC frequently. (I would proffer that there are actualy Four Heeleys!

- Unless of course someone would wish to argue for more... Heeley Magna and Heeley Parva, and Nether Heeley perhaps...? - chuckle :P )

PT

As I think someone mentioned earlier, it is not really they way a place name is spelt, but how the people who live there pronounce it that counts.

Times change and so do the way of saying things.

Below are some 'historical'? quotes from a website about Heeley

'In 1801 a building stood, on common land in Upper Heeley which was used as a school.'

'The building of Lowfields School was started in 1872,'

'In the’ 1920’s and’ 1930’s, the main shopping area known as "Heeley Bottom" spread from Lowfields School along London Road’'

'Heeley Green, known in earlier times as Upper Heeley, was a close-knit community'

Also areas are pronounced differntly to the way the are spelt

'greenhill' used to be pronouced 'grenull' when I lived in Sheffield for instance

Originally posted by redrobbo

To confuse matters further.... a forummer who lives in this vicinity describes it as Heeley. Yet one of the shops and the public house on East Road refer themselves to Olive Grove (which is an area off the bottom of Heeley Bank Road, including a street name, the bus depot and the council depot), and Mathom said, "Lowfield is technically the hillside going up from Queen's Road bounded by East Bank Rd, Heeley Bank School and Prospect Road. Though it's far easier to say Heeley!".

Afaik, there is no 'area' called Olive Grove; It's Lowfield(s).

Originally posted by Captain_Scarlet

Afaik, there is no 'area' called Olive Grove; It's Lowfield(s).

The council works department (where the huge salt-dome thing is) is "at" Olive Grove....

As is one of the First-Mainline bus garages...

PT

Originally posted by Plain Talker

Lower Walkley is near the Langsett Estate area,/ Upperthorpe (ish).

What about Upper Heeley? My dad used to take me and my sister to Upper Heeley WMC frequently. (I would proffer that there are actualy Four Heeleys!

- Unless of course someone would wish to argue for more... Heeley Magna and Heeley Parva, and Nether Heeley perhaps...? - chuckle :P )

PT

Is your 'Upper Heeley' near my UH? :P

Is Lower Walkley Mr Relative's area?

Originally posted by Plain Talker

The council works department (where the huge salt-dome thing is) is "at" Olive Grove....

As is one of the First-Mainline bus garages...

PT

Nick2 used to say he lived at Olive Grove; he then changed it to Heeley.

What annoys me is the fact that some people claim High Storrs School is in the area High Storrs - IMHO, it is in the district/area of Greystones, which covers pretty much all of S11 7(letter, letter).

Completely agree kentboy. Having lived on High Storrs Drive for over 20 years I can confirm we are in Greystones, On the A-Z the "Y" is in my back garden. Actually HS Drive is the boundary of the Greystones parish, if we'd mistakenly flitted to Mylor Road way back we'd unfortunately be in Ecclesall, argh no!

There is no such district as High Storrs.

Originally posted by StanRobinson

Completely agree kentboy. Having lived on High Storrs Drive for over 20 years I can confirm we are in Greystones, On the A-Z the "Y" is in my back garden. Actually HS Drive is the boundary of the Greystones parish, if we'd mistakenly flitted to Mylor Road way back we'd unfortunately be in Ecclesall, argh no!

There is no such district as High Storrs.

Aye - the only High Storrs that exists are the school and the Drive.

Can you confirm Springvale is a myth too - it's a road - :P

This is interesting Brincliffe is S11 9!!!!

Nick2 used to say he lived at Olive Grove; he then changed it to Heeley.

I live just behind Olive Grove bus depot, near the Olive Grove pub, so it seemed logical, and sounded quite romatic, "Heeley" sounds a bit naff, and "Heeley bottom" sounds like a disease.

Olive Grove was the name of Wednesdays first football ground, and I think was a made up name, as you say to sound a bit posh.

It then gradually came to mean the surrounding area (no record of anybody calling it Olives Groves though

:hihi: )

Originally posted by nick2

I live just behind Olive Grove bus depot, near the Olive Grove pub, so it seemed logical, and sounded quite romatic, "Heeley" sounds a bit naff, and "Heeley bottom" sounds like a disease.

You could live in Upper Heeley, or Dore - ;):D