Tm travel buses cancelled some services tonight

Ive been using TM Travel buses for a number of years now,Ive never had an issue with any of them in sheffield.In fact ive found most of the drivers to be quite pleasant,not the best buses in the world but they have always got me to where I want to go.

Pitty the same cant be said for Rotherham,ive used a couple of their services recently to Hoyland and Maltby.The trips in question have been more of an ordeal than a journey.

Scruffy loud mouth drivers with no consideration for anyone,a couple of times the drivers seemed to think it was more important to have their fags than keep the bus running on time.

Their buses in the bus station seem to be a general meeting area for all the drivers and the swearing can frequently be heard even from the Interchange area.

Ill stick to sheffield in future I think, one of their drivers told me they have serious staffing issues with a lot of drivers that simply cant be bothered to go work.:loopy:

the number 4 to Millhouses was running fine today when I caught it...

Just curious as to why they stoped?

The services cancelled on Saturday were, according to the travel news, due to 'operational difficulties'.

Now to me that means either they didn't have enough buses or didn't have enough drivers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was bus shortages, given that most of their better buses have been transfered to Notts & Derby since Wellglade group bought them out (Wellglade's better known bus company is Trent Barton) and in return a load of hand me downs have been sent up from Trent Barton, mainly Solo minibuses and Dart single deckers that needed a lot of work doing to them. Basically the rubbish Trent Barton didn't need anymore after getting brand new buses.

This probably explains why the almost heritage 'Olympian' double deckers seem to be appearing out in service beyond their usual school contracts and Peak District rambler services.

However according to those posting on the South Yorkshire Transport Forum it was driver shortages.

Now I know a number of TM's drivers (mainly those that work Rotherham routes) were transfered across from Veolia when they ceased trading, with the rumours being that the reason Veolia failed was the number of cancellations due to high numbers of drivers calling in sick on a regular basis, however I have no evidence this is happening at TM Travel - I've not had any problems in that area with the services on the 49 route when I've used it on a Sunday. I've also heard a number of TM drivers have left to work for other operators that pay better but again, have no evidence to say this has left them short.

So, in summary, don't know.

Edited by Andy C

The services cancelled on Saturday were, according to the travel news, due to 'operational difficulties'.

Now to me that means either they didn't have enough buses or didn't have enough drivers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was bus shortages, given that most of their better buses have been transfered to Notts & Derby since Wellglade group bought them out (Wellglade's better known bus company is Trent Barton) and in return a load of hand me downs have been sent up from Trent Barton, mainly Solo minibuses and Dart single deckers that needed a lot of work doing to them. Basically the rubbish Trent Barton didn't need anymore after getting brand new buses.

This probably explains why the almost heritage 'Olympian' double deckers seem to be appearing out in service beyond their usual school contracts and Peak District rambler services.

However according to those posting on the South Yorkshire Transport Forum it was driver shortages.

Now I know a number of TM's drivers (mainly those that work Rotherham routes) were transfered across from Veolia when they ceased trading, with the rumours being that the reason Veolia failed was the number of cancellations due to high numbers of drivers calling in sick on a regular basis, however I have no evidence this is happening at TM Travel - I've not had any problems in that area with the services on the 49 route when I've used it on a Sunday. I've also heard a number of TM drivers have left to work for other operators that pay better but again, have no evidence to say this has left them short.

So, in summary, don't know.

I got on the TM number 79 to Batemoor on flat street at 18.40 then the driver was using her phone to call the garage asking where her relief driver was as she had another journey to do from Meadowhall at 18.55 as there was no driver to take her off she asked us to get off the bus as she had to go so hence the service 79 was cancelled second time this has happened to me

Problems tonight on TM's route 49, no driver shortage, bus shortages this time, very old knackered double decker out in service presumably as the planned low floor minibus/single decker wasn't available, declared unfit for service by the driver with the rest of that bus's trips cancelled and passengers left to wait an hour for the next one.

This is nt the first time this has happened on the 49 route happend the other month to me only had to wait half an hour though.

Time they sorted this bus out seen as we only have one bus to killamarsh which is every half an hour in week and every hour on a sunday .

Well they had better get their services sorted out ASAP as many people are sick to the back teeth of them, I even thought First were bad but TM Travel are in a totally different league. At least First turn up and have pleasant drivers from time to time.

If you wanted to take non running/constantly late buses up further, who is it you would speak to apart from SYPTE/TM Travel who either ignore your complaint or just fob you off with a bog standard letter? Surely there must be some other power that can investigate this consistant matter?

I got on the TM number 79 to Batemoor on flat street at 18.40 then the driver was using her phone to call the garage asking where her relief driver was as she had another journey to do from Meadowhall at 18.55 as there was no driver to take her off she asked us to get off the bus as she had to go so hence the service 79 was cancelled second time this has happened to me

Ever thought the driver in question was doing 79s for overtime to help TM out? Hope you thanked her for bothering to try and get people where they wanted to go by ringing the garage.......

And who funds the PTE.... the council, ie me and you.

The PTE is just a money making quango. High paid employees with no power, no proper jobs, getting free travel for their families and costing us a fortune. A few retired bus drivers could do their job better for one percent of the cost.

Care to elaborate on this with evidence

And who funds the PTE.... the council, ie me and you.

The PTE is just a money making quango. High paid employees with no power, no proper jobs, getting free travel for their families and costing us a fortune. A few retired bus drivers could do their job better for one percent of the cost.

Quango (quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation) is not an accurate description as far as a PTE is concerned.

They are a public authority, accountable to elected representatives.

The employees aren't particularly higly paid compared to other public bodies and they certainly aren't highly paid compared to the private sector. A lot of people who work for PTE's are ex bus (or train) drivers or have worked in the industry in the private sector.

All direct employees do get free a free public transport pass and, as I understnd it, they can buy a discuounted pass for a partner, but their families do not get free travel. It's a similar arrangement at all PTE's as far as I am aware.

Edited by Planner1

Ever thought the driver in question was doing 79s for overtime to help TM out? Hope you thanked her for bothering to try and get people where they wanted to go by ringing the garage.......

If is the one Im thinking of, shes quite fit too ;)