If something is in a skip and you take it should that be against the law?

My friends got arrested and their van seized by police because they took some scrap metal out of a skip ready to go.

The person who owns the skip wants to press charges I don't think this person should have a right to do that or do anything to get my friends into trouble because I say if its in a skip and its outside no one wants what's in it because its been chucked out.

People collect scrap for money and it helps the enviroment dole isn't enough or any other payments govourment are soo tight :P what's your opinion?

If its in a skip it belongs to the skip company and the skip company

also weigh the scrap in to earn a crust,they pay the environment agency

for a permit to run the company and don't collect dole money !

It would be commom courtesey to knock on the door and ask, just because something is in a skip does not automaticaly mean that its rubbish - many businesses have a scrap skip that they get paid for the contents

Just because its in a skip, doesnt mean it doesnt belong to someone, whether its the person who is throwing it away, or the skip company. At the end of the day its theft which is illegal, plus the police are trying to crack down on "scrappies" with vans going round nicking metal.

How hard is it to knock on a door and ask if you can have it, too many people want something for nothing and think nowt of taking it from others.:rant:

It would be commom courtesey to knock on the door and ask, just because something is in a skip does not automaticaly mean that its rubbish - many businesses have a scrap skip that they get paid for the contents

Got to agree with this,simply knock on the door and ask,worst can happen is they say no.

My opinion is that the Waste Management Provider have every right to press charges against the Scrap men for theft. At the end of the day I don't know the ins and outs but upon leasing the Skip to the client the Skip itself is very much still the property of the Waste Management provider and the items placed in the skip then become the property of the Waste Management Provider. Whether Metal or not they are licensed for the safe disposal of the contents of the skip, many are environmentally friendly and recycle as much as possible now as well.

Should anything metal be placed in the skip then I would imagine this would be weighed in / recycled legitimately and the proceeds of which are extra revenue for the company.

It's about time these illegal scrap men got what is coming to them. They are generally unlicensed and the majority of the time they trespass on property taking items whether scrap or not, one persons opinion of scrap isn't necessarily another persons and it is nothing short of theft.

The fact that you state the dole isn't enough also tells me that the people in question probably sign on as well as scavenge for scrap with is Benefit Fraud is it not?

Ask me I hope they throw the book at them!

The sad thing is that legitimate Scrap men do exist out there and all of the illegal thieves out there who like to call themselves scrap men are pretty much forcing the honest ones out of business. They are generally unlicensed for waste removal that in itself is a crime prosecuted by fine at minimum. Bang them all up!

Edited by bassett-boys

My friends got arrested and their van seized by police because they took some scrap metal out of a skip ready to go.

The person who owns the skip wants to press charges I don't think this person should have a right to do that or do anything to get my friends into trouble because I say if its in a skip and its outside no one wants what's in it because its been chucked out.

People collect scrap for money and it helps the enviroment dole isn't enough or any other payments govourment are soo tight :P what's your opinion?

Did your friends consider asking the person who'd hired the skip if they could take some stuff out of it before they decided to steal it anyway?

Do your friends also believe that things left outside are also there to be cleaned up but such outstanding members of the community, even if said items are patio furniture or bicycles?

Where do they stand on assisting those who are so unfortunate to have so much lead that they've had to resort to nailing it to their roofs?

it can be classed as theft as the skip belongs to OP. however saying that, i am a skip diver and i fully admit to it, however i dont drive or collect metal from them, just furniture etc. (small enough to carry) recycle, recycle, recycle i say ;)

if your mates van was seized then i honestly cant see why, unless there is more to it ie, stolen goods being transported in it or its not legal on the road????

i thought only if prosecuted for this theft then the van can be seized.

i forgot to mention that if i see anything in a skip on someones property iwill ask first before diving in lol and most of the time they are fine about it, even so that i stood talking to one geezer with a skip for about an hour and found out he too likes skip diving

all in all it is possibly the skip owner wanting the metal to sell himself from people dumping it in it. (i bet he wouldnt complain of metal being put in it lol !)

hope everything sorts itself out ;)

Edited by helhol
  • Like 1