Did you work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Summerfield Street

your not brian who lived in ecclesfield are you?

Your not far out,i lived in Chapeltown.I wasnt out with them on Friday,I was

in London for the weekend watching The Blades stay in the Premiership.

is it HOLMES?

Yes I remember Brian Holmes

wernt you steves gaffer,i think i remember going to a party at your house,a long time ago though

Most of this thread seems to be about factory staff, but what about the office workers? I started in CSD under Bob Cliffe in the old offices, which were moved to the new block. Other names that spring to mind are Gordon Robinson, Austin Traynor, Stuart Bowles, Sandra Rabjohn, Steph Jackson, Joyce West, John, Pip, Peggy, June, and Steve (can't remember their surnames at the moment), and the lovely Gladys Lemons. Anyone remember Mary Hill and Mary Parker? There are others who's faces I can picture but can't put a name to right now. I still sometimes see Dave Ball, who ran the printing dept for a while with his dad Harry. Someone mentioned the works study group, and Pat Hopwood in an earlier message. Didn't he finish up getting locked up?

I've worked at Dormer and still do since 1978.

Here's some names for you.

Bill Hodkin

Cyril Clay

Denis Yeardley

Ray Hill

Ron Hill

Alan Bottomely

Pete Carnell

Ernest Moat

Tony & Margaret Boot

Terry Cahill

Richard Grayson

Bob Tideswell

Ian frankish

Ron Pegg

Kevin Smith

Tony Morton

Keith Mitchell

Kevin Bottom

all have moved on.

Still there from the old days

Alan Brown

Stuart Gray

Mick Drabble

Graham Brammer

Richard Lill

Steve Tedds

Kevin Holloway

Andy Maxwell

Dave Poole

Tony Cowley

Alan Wood

& Dobbin

It's still a flourishing company, now part of the Sandvik multinational. However it has now moved out of Sheffield to Worksop.

can you plz tell me if you knew bashir ahmed and abdul rashid.

thankyou

My mum (Doris) worked in the offices for years in the 60's & 70's, she loved working there.

An old mate of mine (Dennis Mansel) worked 'man & boy' in the stores until they shut the place down.

Dennis Mansel lived on Priory road, his father was a fighter pilot during the war and worked at the twist as a manager but I don't know his position. Both a little bit on the heavy side.

My brother Brian Kay was a fitter there for years, he had an ancient motorbike and lived in Crookes. He had a famous act singing Mule Train which he still performs but sadly not as good as the old days.

Brian Kay gave us (maintenance) his rendition of mule train with his fitters mate accompanying him on piano one dinner time in the Earl Grey just before the Christmas break,we had a long dinner and the forman came and turfed us out.

Dennis Mansel! his father was Colin Mansel.

Most of this thread seems to be about factory staff, but what about the office workers? I started in CSD under Bob Cliffe in the old offices, which were moved to the new block. Other names that spring to mind are Gordon Robinson, Austin Traynor, Stuart Bowles, Sandra Rabjohn, Steph Jackson, Joyce West, John, Pip, Peggy, June, and Steve (can't remember their surnames at the moment), and the lovely Gladys Lemons. Anyone remember Mary Hill and Mary Parker? There are others who's faces I can picture but can't put a name to right now. I still sometimes see Dave Ball, who ran the printing dept for a while with his dad Harry. Someone mentioned the works study group, and Pat Hopwood in an earlier message. Didn't he finish up getting locked up?
I used to work under Bob Cliffe and a guy called Ken in despatch in the 50s.is that after your time:thumbsup:

Looking through this thread a few days ago prompted me to try and contact an old mate who worked there. Electrician name of John Hobson ( actually employed by H.E.Barnes but spent many years on contract at S.T.D.). I was dismayed to learn that he died 4 yrs ago from asbestos related cancer. I sent a letter of condolence to Freda, his wife via their solicitors as I had forgotten their address. I received a reply from the solicitors informing me that Freda had also died last year. Gutted.

I've sent you a P.M. but I worked with John for a few years. Don't know if you knew him through Sheffield Twist Drill or from a non work area. I also met up with him when he left Barnes' and was a foreman at Hall & Pickles.

Eeeeee Twist Drill Tricians, now there's a few stories.