Did you work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Summerfield Street

Hi Keith!! This is Michael Wilson,been trying to contact you for years. Email me, we have a lot of catchup to deal with.

cheers

Mike

Served apprenticeship in fitters shop. Good friends were, Keith Mills, Mick Suttill, Harold, Pete Moody, Alan Fox to name a few. Not much pay but the fun times were well worth the 3 pounds per week pittance.

Since leaving in 1966 lived and worked overseas till moving to Canada in 89.

Any of you guys see this I'd love to hear from you.

Sadly we lost Mick Suttil a few years ago, he was a good lad.

Hi Mike, great to hear from you! And surprised. I have sent you my email address so make sure that you reply.

Actually, the first pay we got as a first year apprentice was 2 pounds 18 shillings & 6 pence. In those days, apprentices were rotated around different sections every six months, and fortunately for me, I wasn't a bad welder and the new machine building section let me stay extra time as they were always held up by Gerry in the welding shop.

They later on realised that my apprentice was finished a few months earlier, so they let me stay with Cec Marples & Jack Darwin. I had a great time with them, missed them when I left the UK.

The reason I left the UK was because a certain Mike Wilson kept on nagging me to go to Australia for 2 years with him. Eventually, I said OK, signed the necessary papers etc. Then Mike said, let's go to Canada instead. I finished up going alone to Oz whilst Mike goes to Canada!

Forty-seven years later, he reads the Sheffield Forum, and says 'Hi Keith'.

Reckon he owes me a beer.

Mike, I still have a photo of when we went to Land's End with Harold Walker, one of Peter Moody and a couple of our Dormer football team. Will email them when I get around to scanning them. Take care, Millsie.

My gran worked here - Emily Hodgson (Foster). She died of a massive hemorrhage at work in March 1948. I never knew her or anything about the place where she worked so I have enjoyed reading the posts. Thanks.

I lived on Parliament street bang opposite The Sheffield Twist drill in the late fifties early sixties,my dad also worked there for a short while in the early sixties,his name was Albert Ashton,I had a wonderful childhood on those dirty streets and spent many happy hours talking to an old gent called Sam (I believe) who fed the pigeons,anyone remember him or my dad?

My grandad worked here his name was Norman Carter not sure what he did. Any one remember him?

I remember my Dad telling me a story about the Japanese sending "The Worlds Smallest Drill" to the company and them drilling the middle out of it and sending it back. Anyone know if there's any truth to this or was it just a myth?

I remember my Dad telling me a story about the Japanese sending "The Worlds Smallest Drill" to the company and them drilling the middle out of it and sending it back. Anyone know if there's any truth to this or was it just a myth?

complete truth

Myth I am afraid, every drill manufacturer claims the same, look here for more information.

Lived at sharrow and as a kid went to the Star cinema down Summerfield St ,in hot

weather the windows would be open.Can still remember the smell of the whale oil

My grandad worked here his name was Norman Carter not sure what he did. Any one remember him?

Norman worked in the General Turners, he was a Forman in charge of a dozen or so engineers making replacement parts required by the Fitting Dept to build and maintain the production machinery.

One character who worked in Normans Dept comes to mind! a small rotund chap, named by his workmates The News of the World (aka:asda).

He would call out from behind his machine to any one he knew walking by with the line Na den! asda erd? followed by all the latest Gossip and Scandal doing the rounds.