Did you work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Summerfield Street

my husband worked there from 1962-1974 his name is bill brooks dose anybody remember him he worked in offices

Did You Work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Sheffield.

No I didn't, but my dad did. He was a semi skilled turner and I think he worked neets redler. He won the firms annual snooker knockout competition on a cuppla occasions, in the early 70's. He could cut a ball so fine they named him The Surgeon.

Most people have a bermuda triangle.

I worked there from 1978 - 1984 in accounts dept, my mother worked in the warehouse as did my sister, people I remember-:

Accounts Dept

Keith Quinn

Sandra

Mr Fox

Beryl in wages

June Bennett

Dorothy

Maureen

David White

Pauline

Gill Lomas in warehouse

Heather my sis

Brenda my mum

Best place to work, what memories

I worked there for 13 years from 1965. I remember people like Ray Parkin, Fiery Fred Drouin, Frank Bell, Dennis Stork, Mike Pennington, Roy South. and many more.

Sheffield Twist Drill had some good things about it, such as the Sports Club at Meadowhead. I learned a lot at Dormer since I started at age 15. But looking at it now it was a classic study of how NOT to run an engineering company. I remember them buying clapped out second hand lathes from Belgium and some auto lathes from Russia that never worked properly. Although I had some good times there it was definitely the right thing to get out.

I'm sure my grandad used to work here, he was Joe Ashmore, he passed away a few years ago just wondered if anyone remembered him. Thanks

My dad worked at Sheffield twist drill all of his working life, he retired about 20 years he ago received a beautiful clock with ball barions around it, he worked there through all my school days at huntersbar school and high storrs secondary school, I remember the christmas parties every year they put on, I think they were done at what used to be the top rank, I remember the fruit and gifts after all the entertainment happy day maybe gone but never forgotten. My dad Neville died 2 days be is 87th birthday in 2009 I'm sure he had happy times there too. :-) his daughter linda

Dennis Mansel lived on Priory road, his father was a fighter pilot during the war and worked at the twist as a manager but I don't know his position. Both a little bit on the heavy side.
Just to put things right my father Colin Mansell was a wireless operator on the Halifax planes, he was personal manager before he was made redundant in 1983 he started with STD in 1937 as a clerk before joining tha Airforce in 1939, he was shot down over France in 1941 fortunately the Yanks got to him before the Germans, he re-joined STD IN 1947. He was a Dormer man through and through, I worked there from 1981 until 1992, very happy times

There is a facebook group for Dormer employees present and past, just type Dormer Tools into the search at the top of the page. Ask to join and you should get access to lots of pics.

hi everyone, just found this site and thought i'd join in the discussion. i worked at dormer from 1966-1971as an apprentice fitter. i remember ron pashley and bob dalton as the foremen, also remember bob simpson, ken lingarde , denis france and cyril ?(shop steward). happy days.

I knew christine that lived on norfolk park, sadly she passed away, she was about 53 when she died. I also knew yvonne sommerset, and Ron crawley.

just been looking at your postings about twist drill. my aunt work there thro the war years untill she retired...her name was iris (connie) everitt..regards..

Hi Dwilko, you won't know me as I left dormer in Nov 1965, but you post brought back so many memories of the people I knew there. I worked in the fitting shop, Ron Pashley was my boss, I worked with Cec Marples & Jack Darwin building self-purpose machines for drill making.

As an apprentice, Harry Chamberlain was my boss.

Played soccer with Dormer u18 then with the B team mainly until I migrated to Oz in '65. Was good friends with Michael Wilson, Harold Walker, Peter Moody, Micael Suttcliffe, Alan Bothamley. Used to practically live up at the Norton ground at the weekends as we also ran a Sunday team too and used the tennis courts quite a bit. This was when they had the old wooden hut.

Let me know if you can update me on any of these guys, or if you of anyone who is contactable. Regards, Millsie