Did you work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Summerfield Street

Did you work at twist drill at anytime. I worked in work study from 1969 to 1978. My former Bosses were Maurice Owens and Pat Hopwood.

My grandpa worked there for fifty-odd years, man and boy.

He retired in about 1978/9.

He worked on the actual lathes, turning the drill bits.

he worked there during the war, (It was a 'reserved occupation' but he had a disabilty, so he could not have joined the forces anyway)

He told the tales of firewatching, from the roof of the factory, during air raids.

The firewatcher stood, on the roof, in a metal contraption which looked like a cross between a torpedo and an "iron maiden" it had slits at "eye" level, so you could see out. it was not very big, about big enough to take one person.

It must have been terrifying. I know there were hits from the bombs very close to the factory, cos the house I lived in, a few hundred yards away from Dormer's factory suffered structural damage from a bomb.

PT

PT what was his name?

His name was Harold Turner.

He was distinctive, as he was very blond of hair, and walked with a limp, due to a bad ankle. (his walking was like he had a false leg, because the joint had been surgically fused )

He also only had half an ear.

PT

Think he workrd in the Production Turners dept

My dad worked there for a while. From about 69 til 71 I think before moving to Hadfields

my ex hubby worked there for a number of years,his name is steve taylor,also know vaughan biggins,alan brown,kevin brown,pete douglas,just a few i remember.

Remember Alan Brown he was a supervisor on the Roll Forge Inspection team.

Originally posted by desy

Think he workrd in the Production Turners dept

He was definitely into the production of Turners. lol

He personally produced three Turners, that I know of:-

My dad, and my two uncles, "unca Kembo" and Unca Pip-pip! lol

Who were, in their turn responsible for the production of seven Turners between them, (who have in Their turn, produced twelve -at the last count!- Turners of their own!)

chuckles!

PT

Bit thick didn't think of it that way

I was an electrician there for several years man and girl. I remember a lot of the fitters, but none of the machine operators. Left before they started moving away from Summerfield St.

MY DAD ,SISTER AND A FEW OF THE RELATIVES WORKED THERE GILLOTTS , ORWINS AND A LOT MORE.THE CHRISTMAS PARTY FOR THE KIDS IN THE 50,s AND 60,s WERE GREAT .LOTS OF MEMORIES.