Did you work at Sheffield Twist Drill, Summerfield Street

Father used to work there till about 1984 - George Matthews (mac) milling dept.

Father used to work there till about 1984 - George Matthews (mac) milling dept.

Mac was my supervisor from 1980-84.

He always said I was wasted in the milling dept. I am now an Product Development Engineer at Dormer, which proves him right.

Mac was a really nice and kind man.

Hal,

Thank you for your kind reply. My father (mac) died in October 1984, did you know?

Gillian

Anyone remember two lads in 1969 ish one was Alex Marsden had mutton chop sideboards. Also Mark Nankowik (SomePolish sounding name) had a quite attraction with the girls apparentley he was pretty well endowed.

About the smallest diameter drill bit story, didn't Alex Dormer send it over to Stanley Allcard and they put a thread down the hole ???

About the smallest diameter drill bit story, didn't Alex Dormer send it over to Stanley Allcard and they put a thread down the hole ???

Hiya my dad work at twist drill on the loading bay anyone know Danny Bilton. He worked there for years untill the company moved. seemed to remember him talking about someone called christine who lived on norfolk park. The xmas parties were at top rank when my dad was there but they were brill.

yes i workedin canteen in 1972 petermachin with nellie short anyone remember me

Hi Magneteer both my brother and I worked for Twist Drill in the late 60s early 70s. He worked on one of the lathes and I worked in the warehouse packing the drills. I too remember the 'world's smallest drill' story but I remember it coming from America not Japan - unless it was an American company based in Japan.

I remember the oily stink of the lubricant they used on the lathes - it looked like greasy milk. We had to wrap drills in waxed paper before boxing them. By the end of the day our hands used to be black and sore from all the little cuts you used to get from the metal and you could never get shut of the stink no matter how many times you scrubbed your hands and nails. I remember my brother Steve getting a metal 'splinter' in his foot, it went all the way through the sole of his boot and embedded itself in his skin.

hi, just wanted to say i know kev Brown and Vaughan Biggins. You may have now heard from them since it has been quite a while since your request.

Did you work at twist drill at anytime. I worked in work study from 1969 to 1978. My former Bosses were Maurice Owens and Pat Hopwood.

Hello desy. I worked at twist drill between Jan`75, and Aug `78. I worked under a foreman called Alan Bothomley who was universally loathed. I was actually a lathe setter but was persuaded to take a job in that particular department as the money and bonus etc, was supposed to be one of the best on the firm.

However I remember Tony Morton. I saw him working in Homebase on Chesterfield rd about 4-6yrs ago I think it was. Had a brief chat etc.

I`m sure that there was a young man called Richard Hill worked there in about `76. There was some suggestion that he was argueing with his girlfriend while driving and while going down Hutcliffe Wood Rd went off the rd and they were both killed. Very tragic as they were both very young and I think I`m correct in saying he was only 21 yrs old at the time. We all attended the service cremation, Ironically at Hutcliffe Wood.

I used to play darts in the "B" team. Our base was the Prince of Wales pub as it was then, on Division St. The "A" team, of which if I`m correct Tony Morton was one of it`s stars, had their base at the Forresters pub on the corner of Division St and Rockingham St.

To be honest I`d had enough:help: of the place well before I left. But stuck it out for the cash.

my father was a foreman for donkeys years until he was killed.

his name was joseph wright ring any bells

Don't think so which department