Council Building Regulations

Recently had my roof done,received I letter from the council telling me I had not submitted an application informing them of the work.

They have stated I have 14 days to make contact or could face a fine and be recorded on any future searches on property.

Can anyone tell me know the cost of application and inspection certificate.

Is this the normal process as I was not aware I have to inform the council as I have only replaced the slates.

Thanks

It costs £180 for the application and around £336 for the inspection and sign off. You normally don't need building regs approval for re roofing, however if you have made any structural alterations or made a liveable loft space then you need approval.

To clarify iahmed's post, you should not normally need BR Approval for re-roofing if the replacement is the same type/weight as the original.

If you have re-roofed with heavier, lighter, different tiles/slates or if you have added/removed felting, then you may well need approval.

Recently had my roof done,received I letter from the council telling me I had not submitted an application informing them of the work.

They have stated I have 14 days to make contact or could face a fine and be recorded on any future searches on property.

Can anyone tell me know the cost of application and inspection certificate.

Is this the normal process as I was not aware I have to inform the council as I have only replaced the slates.

Thanks

It could be to do with the new insulation levels needed when replacing the whole roof.

This is Building regs approval. Before you have your roof renewed you need to apply for approval from the council. Last year it cost £90. You fill in a form and send off a cheque for £90 (last year) and when the roof has been taken off the inspector needs to see you have adequate insulation in place. If you not then while the roof is off you have the once off opportunity to get in there and put the insulation required in place before the roof is put on.

Once the inspector is satisfied with the insulation and the re-roof he will sign it off. Failure to have this done will remain on record and could cause problems when you sell. The buyers solicitor will do a local authority search and it will show there is a record of work that has been carried out without approval and could cause problems when obtaining a mortgage.

The roofer may know of this rule which came out in April 2008, he may not. The application is between the property owner and the council.

I would think most roofers would keep hush as it can slow down the job and go beyond the time allowed. Time is money and who is expected to pay for the extra time involved in getting the customers permission for the insulation work required?

• 3 months later...

If you are recovering more than 25% of the roof area you need building regs approval (unless you use an member of the registered installers scheme, like the NFRC).

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/planningandbuilding/pdf/explanatorybooklet.pdf

You can apply for retospective permission provided you can access the roof space to show the inspector the insulation and breathable membrane which should have been installed.

It's amazing the number of contractors including some on here who will openly deny the need for such approvals and are happy to mislead customers in this regard.