Churches near S8/Woodseats/Millhouses

Hi everyone,

I moved to Sheffield from America a little more than a year ago and have finally settled in Woodseats/Millhouses. My husband and I have visited several churches and haven't found one that fits us. Our church in Massachusetts was AMAZING; in fact, they consider themselves a "Jesus-centred community," not a "church." So a contemporary, non-denominational church would be wonderful...although it seems that most in this area are Church of England (with Methodist or Baptist here and there).

My main problem with the churches we have visited is that there are children running around during the service...everywhere! Is this normal? It's extremely distracting and, I feel, quite disrespectful. I'm not old-fashioned but...c'mon...

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! I would really appreciate it!

Thanks! :)

I think coming from a US church to a UK church you're going to be in for a shock.

Most of the congregation of a UK church look like they could keel over at any moment, with nowhere near enough lung capacity to belt out any hymns with commitment, the younger people with kids usually come across as a bit wierd and the "youth" church is usually full of chandler swingers and people pretending to talk in tongues.

A good church in the UK is few and far between.

I think coming from a US church to a UK church you're going to be in for a shock.

Most of the congregation of a UK church look like they could keel over at any moment, with nowhere near enough lung capacity to belt out any hymns with commitment, the younger people with kids usually come across as a bit wierd and the "youth" church is usually full of chandler swingers and people pretending to talk in tongues.

A good church in the UK is few and far between.

What is a chandler swinger-is it anything to do with LA detectives?

Happy-clappy Hope City might do the trick. Otherwise there are still some communities out in the peaks that seem to have a church as a central focus. The average age of church goers over here is seventy plus though.

Hi everyone,

I moved to Sheffield from America a little more than a year ago and have finally settled in Woodseats/Millhouses. My husband and I have visited several churches and haven't found one that fits us. Our church in Massachusetts was AMAZING; in fact, they consider themselves a "Jesus-centred community," not a "church." So a contemporary, non-denominational church would be wonderful...although it seems that most in this area are Church of England (with Methodist or Baptist here and there).

My main problem with the churches we have visited is that there are children running around during the service...everywhere! Is this normal? It's extremely distracting and, I feel, quite disrespectful. I'm not old-fashioned but...c'mon...

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know! I would really appreciate it!

Thanks! :)

Sounds like the Megacentre would be your best bet.

http://www.hopecitychurch.tv/locations/sheffield

Sounds like the Megacentre would be your best bet.

http://www.hopecitychurch.tv/locations/sheffield

Are they guys that are so sure that their God is amazing, and that the only reason people don't worship him is that they have somehow never heard of him despite an education system that presents 'God' as fact - that they used to give out leaflets in freshers week that were 90% about the huge TV they were offering as a prize and only mentioned that they were a church in tiny letters at the bottom?

You might like Church of the Nazarene at Heeley - Fitzroy Road, I believe. On a Sunday the morning service is at 10.45 I think and there's more kids there as it's Sunday school too. At the evening it's 6pm. I can't guarantee no kids, personally I like to see kids in church - but they are definitely a rarer sight than in the morning service and if they start playing up, parents usually take them to a soundproofed area at the back with a few toys but still gets the service 'piped in'.

I did see something a few weeks ago above the Scout and Guide shop in Trippet Lane on a Sunday evening in town. There is a sign on the door, and it looked less 'conventional' - maybe that will appeal to you.

There you go

http://www.heeleynazarene.org.uk/

You could have a look at the housechurch which has a few congregations around. The nearest to you would probably be the meadowhead christian fellowship who could no doubt tell you were the other churches are as there certainly used to be one at Dore and there's the kings centre at Netheredge.

I'm sure Jonathan the elder at MCF would be quite happy to suggest other places as well if you were to ask for info or help