We need 16 -18yr olds for our Young Rangers scheme. Where do we find them??

Heeley City Farm is running a young rangers course from the 26th May and we are trying to find 16 - 18yr olds to apply for it. Young people can learn about practical conservation techniques and construction It doesn't cost anything and it can lead to apprenticeships at various Sheffield environmental organisations like the Wildlife Trust. All the kids who have been on it in the past have got a lot from the course and it's boosted their self confidence and self discipline massively. You can get some things paid for and you are allowed to study other things at the same time without being penalised. Where are you all?? And if you know of anyone who is interested contact Lee Pearse on 0114 2580482 or email [email protected]

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this mods, I couldn't find an appropriate heading for it and it didn't really fit under employment nor any of the category listings there.

Standing outside shops listening to music on tinny mobile phones would be my best bet.

Head over to Wisewood tesco, there's hundred of them there now.

Get in touch with schools careers officers, they have to have tabs on all 16-18 year olds now.

Imagine getting penalised for studying lol.

have you tried local schools and colleges? You may be able to get a message out centrally via the Local Education Authority or Connexions service.

typical... Location: In the office under a pile of paper! well these kids are all over ENGLAND , and my local shops wake up they wont all fit in heeley city farm

What a fantastic opportunity for young people to get involved with!

When I was at school I got involved with something very simliar to this and progressed to working on 'The Manor Wildlife Trust'. I learnt lots of skills and got involved with the community and local schools that was rewarding.

Although I didn't continue in this area (funding cuts above all else) I could put this to my CV which at the time only consisted of a paper round skill!!

This addition to my CV enabled me to progress into other jobs as employers were impressed with the projects we got involved in.

Is this open to anyone of that age group or just locally?

There are a maze of rules and regs about what you can study and how.

Maaaargaret - anyone from Sheffield who is in that age group can come up to the farm for a chat with Lee about enrolling.

Unfortunatley, due to a lot of cuts, Connexions etc aren't in a position to be as helpful in recruitment as they once were :( Smaller organisations such as ours who relied on them to bridge the gap between kids just out of school and looking for something to occupy their time and the training we offer, don't have the resources, money or the staff to get out on the street. We're too busy teaching and dealing with red tape.

It's a great course and Lee, and Julie the other tutor, are patient, generous and passionate about making sure the kids we get here are well served by our training courses. They all go away with certificates but most importantly they learn the practical skills they need to progress further and the self confidence to do it.

I am sure my 16 year old would love to but unfor he is currently studying for his GCSE exams so he has not got the time. maybe running it later you may get more interest. I am sure he would love it through summer.

What about approaching local secondary schools armed with posters and ask if you can put some up outside the exam halls. The current Y11s will be leaving very soon and you might catch some of them who haven't fixed plans yet, or who have time to spare.

Why not try the Youth Offending Service, they may have some young people they could refer to you?