Desperate Carnivore

While I admire your sentiments, how does eating "organic and free range" meats only, have any bearing on their slaughter. These animals will be killed as any other regular meats are, mostly stunned, hung and throats slit.

It guarantees as much as possible that the slaughter is done in a way to minimize suffering, and that the quality of life of the animal was acceptable prior to its slaughter.

Freedom Food stickers on meat doesn't mean much IMO. There have been several reported incidents at these so called RSPCA checked farms where animals have been beaten and abused and RSPCA have not done anything about it.

I have had meat from The Real Meat Company at the top of Ecclesall Road and can vouch for this being quality meat. Their turkey at Christmas is really good quality and we wouldn't go anywhere else now.

While I admire your sentiments, how does eating "organic and free range" meats only, have any bearing on their slaughter. These animals will be killed as any other regular meats are, mostly stunned, hung and throats slit. Of course there is the alternate "foreign" death, pray, hung and throat slit. End result is the same, meat for our plate. Of course one of the methods is less "humane" than the other.

Angel.

It's not just the slaughter, it's the cruelty throughout their lives. EG battery farmed hens can barely move in the cage that they live in for their entire - short - life. they get bored, frustrated and eventually go mad. as a result they start pecking the hen in the cage next to them and pecking themselves so they have their beaks cut off with a hot blade to stop them from damaging each other. battery hens will be banned in the next couple of years. free range hens do not have to suffer this life.

its not perfect but its better. thats just one little example. its horrific what goes on

Very true, Spikie.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong lol) that cows are one of the biggest contributers to CO2, cos of all of their waste and all of the deforestation for cow fields for fast food chains.

I think you may mean methane although that is a bit of a myth anyway as the original data was found to be flawed. Paddy rice growing releases a far greater amount of greenhouse gasses than cows do, especially methane.

PS. Organic farming is less efficient at producing crops and produces approximately 25% less crops with no health advantage to the consumer.

The only way to guarantee there has been no animal cruelty is to kill and eat the meat yourself.

So, my girlfriend has just shown me a video on the YouTube showing some horrendous cruelty to animals in factory farms. I'm a meat-eater, and I love me a good bit of steak, but I want no part in the cruelty side of it. I'm prepared to pay a bit more for my meat, but does anyone know a good ethical meat supplier in the S10 area?

Thanks!

one has just opened on the top of Glossop road near the 24 hr shop

Bowel cancer anyone?

I don't understand this reply?? :confused::confused:

Could you expand on it please?

Biggsy..

I would recommend the farm shop at Coppice House Farm in the Rivelin valley. Top rate, home reared meat, good selection (and much more other produce too) You can see the animals in the field - judge for yourself if they are cruelly treated.

They are open every day - Mike Kilner is a real expert and a nice guy 0114 2308155

And before anyone asks - I am not connected in any way other than being a satisfied customer

I think you may mean methane although that is a bit of a myth anyway as the original data was found to be flawed. Paddy rice growing releases a far greater amount of greenhouse gasses than cows do, especially methane.

PS. Organic farming is less efficient at producing crops and produces approximately 25% less crops with no health advantage to the consumer.

Haha. I didn't have much faith in that "fact" lol should have never quoted it :hihi:

I, personally, don't buy organic veg as I'm not healthy enough to care about perticides etc and I've had organic veg that has gone off the day after I've bought it. I just hope that the organically farmed animal I'm eating has had a better life than factory farmed ones. I know organic doesn't mean that they have but when I did contact Sainsburys with that very query, they assured me that their organic meat was free range. It was a few years ago now though, so they've probably changed suppliers by now lol but I do trust Sainsburys.

The only way to guarantee there has been no animal cruelty is to kill and eat the meat yourself.

Even better, raise and kill the meat yourself.

doctors think meat eating has a link with cancer of the bowel,and when you think how soon warm meat stinks and its inside you for about 24 hours it wouldnt surprise me