Government snooping of all your internet useage set to go ahead

If you disagree with the terms and conditions of this forum then you are free to go and use a different one.

Any further queries regarding the moderation of this forum should be addressed to the helpdesk, as they are liable to be removed if they are posted in here.

As you say you can stop using any form of communication that may be monitored, however if the government bill passes in it's present form then you will be restricted to talking to people face to face as that seems to be the only form of communication that won't be monitored.

If you disagree with the terms and conditions of this forum then you are free to go and use a different one.

Any further queries regarding the moderation of this forum should be addressed to the helpdesk, as they are liable to be removed if they are posted in here.

As you say you can stop using any form of communication that may be monitored, however if the government bill passes in it's present form then you will be restricted to talking to people face to face as that seems to be the only form of communication that won't be monitored.

Or use a VPN that is based in a country with no censorship/monitoring?

My point is that anything can be circumvented and any company/service provider is within its rights to change the Ts&Cs as they wish.

I have never disagreed with any terms and conditions of anything I have signed up for. Your defensiveness is unwarranted. Merely using this place as an example.

You are free to communicate in person or via VPNs. If you sign up for any service you accept it's continuing terms and conditions. Some things are more trivial and more easily avoidable than others yes, but there are always alternatives.

The benefit to forums may be less offences caused to other users and more profit for the owners but the benefit to doing it nationally would be much greater.

The difference between a forum receiving your communication (which it has to do in order to function) and the government changing the law to intercept all your electronic communications is about privacy and proportionality.

The forum does nothing that I wouldn't expect it to do regarding receiving, publishing and moderating posts.

Intercepting all my electronic communication is IMO a gross breach of privacy and massively open to abuse, and is not something I am happy that the government intends to do. And since the government isn't a private internet forum but exists to govern the country by the will of the people, I believe we have a right to complain about it, unlike the forum where we have a right to simply walk away.

We've talked about this before, you come across as extremely defensive regarding the forum rules. In this context it's perfectly reasonable to use it as a comparison to the government snooping (and I will continue to defend the way the forum operates).

The difference between a forum receiving your communication (which it has to do in order to function) and the government changing the law to intercept all your electronic communications is about privacy and proportionality.

The forum does nothing that I wouldn't expect it to do regarding receiving, publishing and moderating posts.

Intercepting all my electronic communication is IMO a gross breach of privacy and massively open to abuse, and is not something I am happy that the government intends to do. And since the government isn't a private internet forum but exists to govern the country by the will of the people, I believe we have a right to complain about it, unlike the forum where we have a right to simply walk away.

Would you not just moderate your own use of personal communication, knowing the government would have access to it? As you would in a forum or such.

Or use a VPN that is based in a country with no censorship/monitoring?

My point is that anything can be circumvented and any company/service provider is within its rights to change the Ts&Cs as they wish.

I have never disagreed with any terms and conditions of anything I have signed up for. Your defensiveness is unwarranted. Merely using this place as an example.

The government does not operate T&Cs, it makes the law and it does so on behalf of us. We do not simply have to accept whatever it does and try to find means to circumvent it, we participate in the democratic process and make it clear that we don't approve and hopefully the policy will never be implemented.

I'm not really sure what your point is anymore, the forum doesn't intercept anything, it is in no way comparable to the policy discussed, nor is the government really comparable to a privately run forum or even a company.

Do you not object to the government interception of all your communications? Do you not think that people have a right to object?

Would you not just moderate your own use of personal communication, knowing the government would have access to it? As you would in a forum or such.

I shouldn't have to. The forum is a privately owned site that I use through having permission to do so. It doesn't intercept communication with 3rd parties.

The government is a 3rd party which supposedly exists to act on my behalf (and everyone elses), I have an expectation of privacy and I object to this policy.

The government does not operate T&Cs, it makes the law and it does so on behalf of us. We do not simply have to accept whatever it does and try to find means to circumvent it, we participate in the democratic process and make it clear that we don't approve and hopefully the policy will never be implemented.

I'm not really sure what your point is anymore, the forum doesn't intercept anything, it is in no way comparable to the policy discussed, nor is the government really comparable to a privately run forum or even a company.

Do you not object to the government interception of all your communications? Do you not think that people have a right to object?

The government rules will be enforced upon private companies which do have Ts and Cs which would apply to users.

So i am not correct in thinking that certain privileged members of forums have access to the personal details and private messages of others and that tracing cookies were placed on your computer when using in order to log your activity?

I shouldn't have to. The forum is a privately owned site that I use through having permission to do so. It doesn't intercept communication with 3rd parties.

The government is a 3rd party which supposedly exists to act on my behalf (and everyone elses), I have an expectation of privacy and I object to this policy.

Any company you use for communication is acting as a third party.

Can you reply in one post as I get called a troll for replying many times within the same thread. Please. :)

As you say any service provider is free to change it's T&C's as they wish and you can use a different service provider if you disagree with them.

However if the government effectively changes the T&C's for all ISP's then you have no choice if you disagree with them, other than not using any form of monitorable communication.

As for using a VPN to a foreign country you still need to connect to the VPN in the foreign country, which as I understand it will still go through an ISP in the UK so the VPN connection is still going to be intercepted, and as you need to go through the ISP in order to set up a VPN the black box can set up a man in the middle type relay and still see which sites you are going to and what traffic you send.

there's an interesting article here http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/04/man-in-the-midd_2.html about governments compelling certificate authorities to issue them with certificates which can then be used in man in the middle type relays as most browsers will silently ignore a certificate change as long as it is valid.

I don't know how reliable that information is but the government doesn't seem overly concerned about people using vpn or encryption.

I can't see businesses or the banks being overly happy if this is true.

Any company you use for communication is acting as a third party.

No, there are 2 parties involved when I use the forum, myself and the forum.

My ISP is a 3rd party and I don't expect them to be monitoring what I post.

The government is a 3rd party and I don't expect them to be monitoring what I post either.