Government snooping of all your internet useage set to go ahead

Who says it will just be the security services, these kinds of things tend to expand, RIPA powers were used by councils to secretly surveil people suspected of not cleaning up after their dog, or of lying about an address to secure a place in a school, a massive misuse compared to that originally envisaged.

So who's to say that your doctor won't end up checking, or the estate agent when you want to rent a property, or the local councillor who you're having a falling out with.

Looks like the Government may be reigning in council access to this information

Home Secretary Theresa May is likely to bar councils from accessing private data on internet visits, emails and texts

I can only find this in the Mail though so I don't know how good the information is, if it's true then councils will need a warrant to access this information, which should have been the case from day one.

Green Web , you are spot on . It's not about monitoring terrorists , and more about monitoring what we , the public , type into our search engines .

I'm not of a paranoid nature , but do already feel as though I'm being monitored through the use of keywords that i type in

Pure speculation on my part but hands up anyone who thinks that this internet activity information will eventually be made available to third parties ?

A bit like the DVLA sells vehicle owner information to third parties.

Pure speculation on my part but hands up anyone who thinks that this internet activity information will eventually be made available to third parties ?

It would be naive to think it wouldn't unless there was a massive public outcry. The problem I see is the population is infested with "I've got nuffin to hide" mentality and is apathetically prepared to throw basic freedoms to the wind.

Interestingly we can do many things that are legal which could ostracize you from society if those "things" were made public.

Nobody on here too bothered about all their emails and web activity being looked at by this government then ?

Everyone was outraged when Labour suggested it.

You're going down pal :D

Looks like the Government may be reigning in council access to this information

Home Secretary Theresa May is likely to bar councils from accessing private data on internet visits, emails and texts

I can only find this in the Mail though so I don't know how good the information is, if it's true then councils will need a warrant to access this information, which should have been the case from day one.

Councils are only one example, the whole system should require a warrant to access any information.

Big society, heavy media consorship. Welcome to Utopia

At least it'll be a short cut to finding druggie and terrorist supporters.:o

That's more likely to be done by the ISPs than the government. That is what BT, Virgin Median and Talk Talk where going to do with Phorm.

I wonder why it is one rule for the government and another rule for the Murdochs?

Will I get compensation from the government if they invade my privacy?

I wonder why it is one rule for the government and another rule for the Murdochs?

Will I get compensation from the government if they invade my privacy?

Will depend a lot on what they uncover.

Councils are only one example, the whole system should require a warrant to access any information.
Gets my vote, if you need access you should be able to sufficiently demonstrate this to get a warrant and if you can't then no access.

Unfortunately politicians seem to be seeing the law as getting in the way of nailing the bad guys and they want to streamline this to the point where everyone is treated as a criminal and not just the actual criminals.