Parklands v Throstlenest for saddles

Hi

I need a new saddle for my Thoroughbred xSec D and wondered whether anyone had any views on who offered the better service, and/or level of expertise between Parklands and Throstlenest?

Looking at either new synthetic or secondhand leather.

Any experiences or comments would be welcomed.

Many thanks

from my personal experience David Baxter at Throstle Nest has a fantastic range of new and 2nd hand saddler and have bought some great ones off him but i would never get him to fit one for me.

Ive never used parklands so cant comment.

I use Ray kennan who makes all my saddler now. I have one of his hand made saddles for sale that was on a small Welsh d if your interested.

Argh im sooo sick of hearing the word saddle, im in a sadlle battle my self have a tb with stupidly high withers n cnt find a saddle at all iv got sammy and david looking out for me and to be honet there both as good as each other. Sammy isnt actually a qualified fitter but given his years practice he knows what to look for, David is qualified but that comes at a price so if your looking at new made to measure go with david, second go sammy what are you wanting i have a few for sale? x

Argh im sooo sick of hearing the word saddle, im in a sadlle battle my self have a tb with stupidly high withers n cnt find a saddle at all iv got sammy and david looking out for me and to be honet there both as good as each other. Sammy isnt actually a qualified fitter but given his years practice he knows what to look for, David is qualified but that comes at a price so if your looking at new made to measure go with david, second go sammy what are you wanting i have a few for sale? x

I've got Sammy coming out tomorrow weather permitting. I'm after 2 saddles, probably secondhand leather. One is for an extremely wide backed 15.1hh Arab, the other for a fairly wideish 15hh Thoroughbred x Sec D.

Why what you got?

iv got a wide wintec black thats on a sec d, type, should fit urs, and a medium lemetex jumping saddle and a dressage saddle 17, medium

Edited by xxhunniixx
missed a bit

i bought a brand new english leather (good brand) for my horse at xmas and now no longer fits because hes filled out so im guttered to say the least.

Does anyone no if either david or sammy do reasonable exchanges or am i better selling it privately

mines a handmade brown 17inch wide working hunter saddle

clo1809 i would say your best selling them privately as you wont get as much part ex-ing

iv got a wide wintec black thats on a sec d, type, should fit urs, and a medium lemetex jumping saddle and a dressage saddle 17, medium

I'm after a GP saddle, so the dressage and the jumping one would be no good, and I don't like Wintec, so sorry.

If you like Wintec I've got a 1yr old lightly used black 500 All Purpose Wintec 17' with 4 different gullet fittings from the medium to the next to the widest for sale.

Just a quick shout out for Sammy. He came out a couple of times, and I've ended up with 2 new saddles that I'm really pleased with.

I decided on him rather than Throstlenest after speaking to a Master Saddler and horse owner who said in their opinion, providing you have some knowledge yourself about saddle fitting, Sammy will find you the right saddle, at a good price. He also gave me a pretty generous trade-in on a couple of leather saddles I had, so all in all pleased with the outcome.